Reader Sends Audio of Strange Screams Coming from Inside the Indiana Forest

Mail Bag: Reader Sends Audio of Strange Screams Coming from Inside the Indiana Forest

forestscreams

Is a strange beast stalking the rural Indiana forest? One reader is wondering just that, and sent in a strange audio clip of the late-night cries that are disturbing his family.

Every time we get a piece of mail from a Week in Weird reader with a strange story to share, I can barely contain my excitement. Often there’s an accompanying photograph, and once in a great while there’s a video, but for some reason, I always get giddy when there’s some kind of weird audio attached.

Fresh from the inbox comes a strange audio clip sent in from Terry K. in Rossville, Indiana, who says that the bizarre screams captured on an iPhone have been keeping his family awake at night, and his dog on edge.

Terry writes:

I’m in the woods a lot, but I’ve never heard anything exactly like it. My mom sent me the clip she said it was super loud and woke everyone up. We live in the boonies so it could have been a lot of things but still worth checkin out. Volume is shitty since it was recorded on an iPhone so use headphones.

Bigfoot? Werewolf? Drunk neighbor?

Attached was the following clip, which Terry says was “extremely loud”.

“The other growling noise is our dog barking at whatever it is,” he wrote in the description. “The [scream] at the end towards the 26 second mark is the most clear.”

Did Terry’s family manage to capture the howls of a Sasquatch? Or did an evening hiker stub his toe on a log? Let us know what you think (or share your own story)! Drop us a line on Facebook, tweet us @WeirdHQ, or leave your thoughts in the comments below!

Greg Newkirk

Greg Newkirk

Editor-In-Chief at Week In Weird
Writer, adventurer, and professional monster chaser, Greg Newkirk is the founder and Editor-In-Chief of Week In Weird, Director of The Traveling Museum of the Paranormal & Occult and one-half of the prolific investigative duo Planet Weird. Learn more about Greg.
Greg Newkirk
Greg Newkirk

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Coppertop
3 years 6 months ago

Maybe it’s just the volume on my laptop, but this sounds more like a low chuffing than a howl sound.

jw
3 years 6 months ago

Sounds a bit like the “vixen’s scream” call of the red fox.

TF
3 years 6 months ago

Sounds like wild hogs.

Terry
3 years 6 months ago
I just saw that this got posted on the website! Yeah the cleaned up audio would be great to hear. There are three howls or whatever but the last one is the most clear. I listened to some red fox calls and that is definitely the closest to the noise in my opinion as well, and I have seen a few roaming around. I have never heard of wild hogs in the area but I know they are beginning to make their way up north in recent years. According to my family this just sounded like a much more massive… Read more »
Marti F
3 years 3 months ago

I was not able to hear anything..however I do know the rural area near Rossville and there is always spooky things going on out there.

Kate
7 months 8 days ago

That’s definitely not something I’d want to hear outside. In the dark. In the mountains.

We have fox around us too and I’ll admit, their scream is startling and similar to this. But this sounds different in some way. Bigger.

5 months 21 days ago

I had to turn the sound up full to hear the other sound . I’m an ex- Wisconsin Farm boy , but don’t recognize this sound .

5 months 21 days ago

Interesting, I literally live 10 minutes from Rossville. Love to check the woods out!

5 months 21 days ago

I was expecting the sound to be a misidentified fox scream (only because it’s a disturbing sound and often misidentified when adrenaline is running high) but it seems to be too bass-y. Foxes sound more like women being murdered (at 3AM in the woods across from my house lol).

wpDiscuz