Ancient Egyptian Statue Has Begun Moving on Its Own, Freaking Out Museum Staff and Sparking Investigation

movingegyptianstatue

Cursed artifacts, particularly ones from Egypt, are a constant source of inspiration for Hollywood, but after management at an British museum started noticing a statue move on its own accord, some are wondering whether or not to take some inspiration from Hollywood.. and run.

Curators at the Manchester Museum say that they’ve had this particular relic, a piece of history dating back to 1800 BC, on display for 80 years, but it wasn’t until several weeks ago when they began to notice its mysterious movements.

“I noticed one day that it had turned around. I thought it was strange because it is in a case and I am the only one who has a key,” Egyptologist Campbell Price told The Manchester Evening News. “I put it back but then the next day it had moved again. We set up a time-lapse video and, although the naked eye can’t see it, you can clearly see it rotate on the film. The statuette is something that used to go in the tomb along with the mummy.”

While some skeptics have made the case that the strange movements could be attributed to small vibrations caused by anything from road work, passing busses, or even air conditioners, most museum workers point to the fact that this particular statue is the only one to move, and has only begun its circular spinning recently.

Price believes the restless statue might have much to do with an equally restless spirit.

“In Ancient Egypt they believed that if the mummy is destroyed then the statuette can act as an alternative vessel for the spirit. Maybe that is what is causing the movement,” he said.

Perhaps its time to call Brendan Frasier in for some wacky adventure hijinks?

Check out the time lapse footage below and let us know what you think is causing the relic to spin. Is it an ancient curse? Subway work? Or just a ploy to drum up more business for the Manchester Museum? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook, on twitter @WhoForted, or in the comments!

Big thanks to Zazz and hycgan on twitter for the tip on this story!

1. Martin J. Clemens

06/23/2013 at 7:09 AM

Of the options you suggest, the publicity stunt stands out in my mind…but then, you never know…great post!

2. Danielle

06/23/2013 at 7:14 AM

Ok. Watched his several times with my boyfriend who is a mechanical engineer. My own first impression was that this is not paranormal. The movement is too neat and tidy. I almost call hoax, in that its on a turntable of some sort in order to drum up publicity for the museum. But whether or not it’s deliberately faked, I don’t get any sort of paranormal vibe from the movement.

My boyfriend’s assessment was more explicit:

1)it’s on a glass surface – prone to vibration and smooth
    2)it only moves when people walk through the room
    3)the statue is taller than the others on the shelf, giving it a different centre of gravity

The vibrations from people walking through would vibrate the shelf ever so slightly. If that statue was slightly off balance for any reason (it’s old after all) or had a centre of gravity that made it lean a small amount, the vibrations from the people could make it shift slightly on the glass. Over the day the movement adds up and looks more impressive/spooky.

His explanation makes perfect sense to me!
    What’s your take?

06/23/2013 at 11:42 AM

I have a feeling that you’re both right. Luckily, we’ve managed to snag a reader who actually visits this museum all the time, and she’s going to head over there this week and check out information on the base, vibrations on the stand, etc. We might just figure it out!

• Adam

06/24/2013 at 9:46 PM

if the statue move by people, then why not other statue move as well

• Patrick Donahue

02/22/2015 at 3:25 AM

So strange to come upon this. I have a collection of Egyptian Amulets which I have on display. All have remained stationary but an amulet of Thoth which has been rotating counter clockwise for some time now. Never thought much about it ’till now…. This has nothing to do with foot traffic or vibration. Only “one” in my collection is rotating. Don’t even start with the vibration bullshit… Also received a falcon amulet by mail. I left it unopened in my home as I needed to go to work. When I returned from work a candy wrapper beside the package was folded up into an image precisely matching the falcon amulet. I have it to this day. The past “is”alive.

3. George

06/23/2013 at 7:50 AM

I vibration of sorts, not the people walking but a nearby train, subway etc that comes through only at night.

4. George Stadalski

06/23/2013 at 9:01 AM

I agree with the vibration theory. Looks like it is only happening during times of heavy foot traffic and when it turns all the way around, it stops. Seems to have found the low point. It would be interesting to know what the floors in that area are made of.

5. sean

06/23/2013 at 12:49 PM

A friend asked me why the statue would start spinning within the last few weeks, if it’s simply a natural product of the way it’s positioned on the glass shelf.

So I reread the article and saw the egyptologist’s quote that they have had it on the “same surface” since they’ve had it, 80 years.

Looking at the display case and the surrounding environment again they seemed more than a little modern, I ended up finding this article about the recent renovations to the Ancient Worlds

Looks like they finished up in october of last year. That’s still a long while for it to apparently have not been moving if, as the article says, it has only been moving in the past few weeks. But it’s certainly far less implausible than a statue never touched for 80 years or something like that.

Further, I think the idea that it has only been happening for the past few weeks is actually not true? Possibly fiction on the part of the newspaper? Considering this article, posted by the egyptologist Campbell Price himself:

…dated from the end of february.

It seems pretty clear it’s been happening since at least a couple days prior to that point, when that article was posted, which makes the gap even less questionable to me. Maybe the statue had to settle into the ideal position that it did, or maybe it had to loosen up first. I certainly can’t say for sure, but I think it means something.

Finally, one last interesting line from that article:

“I lied – others do have a key to the case, and it is just possible that someone is playing a trick. But I doubt it.”

Not entirely relevant. Not even really suspicious, he was clearly just making it a more interesting story, drumming up some interest in the exhibit. I can’t really fault him for that. Still, with the (extremely compelling) video present, you don’t NEED that little fib to make it more interesting. We can see it move. I wonder why return to it, months later?

6. David

06/23/2013 at 4:42 PM

I notice it doesn’t move at night, only in the daytime, there could easily be a member of staff walking by every fifteen minutes or so giving it a little nudge round. Whether it’s a publicity stunt or a prank by a lone member of staff I couldn’t say.

7. Jamieboy11

06/24/2013 at 1:59 AM

Sounds really freaky,”my mum told me at dinner time and i nearly froze in fear” I have a history assignment coming up, I thought Egypt would be the go! I am 9. hope you find the mystery out! Sya!!!

8. Jamieboy11

06/24/2013 at 2:00 AM

PS- I am in Australia and it is 7:01 PM over here

9. lady warwick

06/24/2013 at 6:11 AM

it’s a weeping angel, dont blink and dont look away!

10. Dan Schneider

06/25/2013 at 6:05 PM

Ohio has it’s own similar “haunted rotating statue”; it’s a small ivory white whale in the The Indian Museum of Lake County. I think the same thing for both, vibrations causes the rotating.

11. Nikkus

06/30/2013 at 10:38 AM

So, here’s something weird…each frame has a timestamp, but they’re all jumbled up! The timestamps progress throughout each day, but not necessarily in the correct order. It also looks like some frames are repeated. Now, it appears that the position of the statue is facing the direction you would expect it to (i.e. sometimes it’s turned slightly counterclockwise in the next frame), so the timestamps and position seem to be in agreement. Nothing fishy there. So, why would the frames be out of order like that?

12. Pingback: Walk Like An Egyptian? | Ghost Theory

13. Patrick

03/03/2015 at 4:41 AM

Is too bad so sad you only post the comments that you want everyone to buy into and delete the rest. So let’s just go with convex surface and shun Ancient Egypt. Good luck with that my friend.

14. Gill Avila