The Old Hag: Terrifying "Ghost Photo" Captured at Texas' Fort Worth Museum

The Old Hag: Terrifying “Ghost Photo” Captured at Texas’ Fort Worth Museum

fi copy

If you’re trying to stave off sleep, I’ve got the perfect picture to guarantee you’ll be up at 2am. A creepy-as-hell photo taken at Texas’ Fort Worth Museum of Science and History might take the cake for one of the creepiest potential ghost photos of all time.

PmUntK4 copy

The image was snapped during an afternoon trip to FWM for a bit of fun, unfortunately what he photographed lurking around in the background was anything but.

UShrzyA

What appears to be a… well, let’s be honest, a hideously disfigured old woman covered in soiled shroud, is lurking around in children’s section of the museum, surrounded by happy kids playing with no regard to the spooky sight near them.

The old hag’s arms are severely distorted, she appears to be standing inside a child-sized grocery cart, and that’s not even the weirdest part. The photographer, who submitted the image to Reddit under the name KRAMERisKRUNK, has absolutely no memory of anything remotely resembling a terrifying old lady standing in the background of his photo.

ZZmDXVv

Obviously, plenty of people jumped in with their two cents, a museum employee who explained that a handful of security guards have had strange experiences like things being moved, particularly when the FWM hosted their Titanic exhibit.

pFi0Vz4

Nothing else is known about the image, the possible ghost, or whether or not the Fort Worth Museum has a longer history of paranormal occurrences, especially in the childrens’ section. Regardless, you can’t deny that the image is pretty strange.

Is there a ghost haunting the Fort Worth Museum? Has a dark spirit from beyond the grave come back from the dead to re-stock shelves in a fake grocery store? Or did some woman with really deformed features just decide to wear a veil and ride around in a shopping cart? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook, tweet us @WeirdHQ, or start a conversation in the comments below!

1. Greg Newkirk

10/08/2015 at 2:02 PM

Yikes, man.

• mike

10/12/2015 at 11:37 AM

Look at the bottom shelf. Center…. a face in perfect detail. Scary looking. Just as much as the woman with a scull?… in her hand.

• Thomas Buyea

10/12/2015 at 12:37 PM

If this is a museum why does it look like a grocery store ?

10/12/2015 at 12:44 PM

Never been a children’s museum before?

• William Anderson

09/11/2016 at 7:44 PM

They have a large part of ours here

• Linda

10/12/2015 at 1:40 PM

It’s set up to look like a grocery store, with fake food and fake registers so the kids can play store. It’s definitely the kind of place you’d notice someone out of place.

• Buckeye

10/16/2015 at 3:25 PM

I don’t know any ghosts that wear skinny jeans, floral top, matching flower headband, a wristlet wallet / purse, and matching red flats.

Also, this ghost casts a shadow.

Come on, sheep.

• Amirah Kukan

10/20/2015 at 3:47 PM

What’s wrong with what she’s wearing. FYI ghosts can turn up from any era, that includes your hippie theory. Though she doesn’t look like she just wondered in out of haight st. She looks more like Native American to me.

• Ruth

01/06/2016 at 5:42 PM

The light is responding to it as though it’s a solid body too. This is someone, not some – thing. Without CCTV showing the time, these photos could easily be someone dressed in that way looking at the random stuff there, and the cart is child sized so if she is stood behind it and is a full sized person, that would make sense too, along with the children not reacting because it’s just a woman doing the same as they are doing, so no cause for any alarm or reaction out of the ordinary. Her arm only looks distorted because of the shawl draped over the top of it.

2. Jeri Michelle

10/08/2015 at 2:06 PM

I can’t stop staring. It’s just so weird.

10/08/2015 at 2:07 PM

It’s weird, because it looks like the thing is sitting in the cart.. or standing.. of going right through it. I can’t tell. This is a really bizarre one.

• Jeri Michelle

10/08/2015 at 2:11 PM

It almost looks like feet, like its crouching on its toes…but I’m not sure how that would be possible, given the position of the rest of the body. Of course, that’s assuming it was human. I keep staring at what looks like a headpiece; it looks vaguely like headphones. But it definitely has something on its head that seems apart from the shroud.

3. Marcy Smith

10/08/2015 at 2:36 PM

Why does it look like it’s wearing jeans?

• Tina Sena

10/11/2015 at 11:51 AM

It does look like it’s wearing jeans, and a flower headband and a floral shirt. It’s most likely a woman shopping and just a glitch with the camera…

• Elle Winstead

10/13/2015 at 4:14 PM

The thing is, you CAN’T shop in there. It’s a fake store for kids to PRETEND they are shopping, so there is no way that a grown woman COULD be shopping there. I am not saying it is definitely paranormal, but it sure is strange given the circumstances.

4. Delia Summerfield

10/08/2015 at 2:36 PM

Everyone in the photo is accounted for except the child wearing the same colors as the “ghost”. He probably made some quick movements (for only reasons that kids know) as the photo was snapped. Because I’m an expert.

• Katie Faulhaber

10/08/2015 at 3:16 PM

I don’t see any kid wearing the same colors in the before picture? The blonde kid is the one in the foreground of the after.

• Brandon

10/10/2015 at 9:30 AM

While I don’t think it is what it is purported to be, that is a really weak explanation. Even the typical skeptic/scientific materialist would do better than that. Why not a simpler explanation? Why not consider that it was staged, and the kids were in on the ruse? Or perhaps it’s very skillful photo manipulation.

My experience tells me that these things are a very real part of our world, but this looks fake.

• Terry

10/12/2015 at 2:21 PM

If “the hag” was an unexpected surprise, why is she centred in the photograph and why was this person photographing children in the first place.

10/12/2015 at 2:30 PM

Just to play devil’s dvocate: lots of people really suck at framing their pictures, especially if they’re trying to capture action on a cell phone.

What baffles me is that everyone is so concerned with saying that the “hag” is wearing jeans, and not that some super fucked-up looking monster is riding around in a cart.

• Delia Summerfield

10/08/2015 at 3:38 PM

This child is not in the hag picture but wearing the same colors as the “ghost”. It’s probably him and some kind of result of fast movement during exposure.

• Duane

10/12/2015 at 7:56 PM

I believe you are right. Look at the placement of the cart behind the child, it sure looks like the same one “the Hag” is using.

• Tom

10/13/2015 at 8:32 AM

Case solved IMO. Good catch there.

• Queenie

02/17/2017 at 3:50 AM

The only thing that makes me wonder about that theory is the height discrepancy.

• JA Adams

10/08/2015 at 3:39 PM

That’s what I was thinking, like he was jumping around when the photo was taken

• Patricia Hutchins

10/08/2015 at 4:32 PM

I can see what you are saying. The 2 things that would make me guess that is not it are the kid in the grey shirt was headed behind the big bins in the first pic and wouldn’t be visible for the second pic and if he was jumping around I think the little boy in the blue shirt would be looking at him. He seems completely unaware there is someone/thing in front of him.

• Kimberly

10/09/2015 at 8:17 AM

For one the kid isn’t tall enough to be the ghost image in the back..either that is a amazing photoshop or a real entity..

• jon

10/10/2015 at 8:37 PM

Good call! You can see something red and something yellow in the kids cart and you also see the same items in the “hags” cart, the kid you are referring to has clearly caught the attention of the little kid with the blue shirt in the before photo and in the last photo he is still looking at him as he heads in that direction. I say you’ve done it again Holmes!

• Elle Winstead

10/13/2015 at 4:19 PM

So did he also grow his arms to an unusually long length and sprout an extra almost foot in height as a gag, too? If you are talking about the kid in the gray shirt and dark shorts, if you look at him in relation to the red shelves his head barely comes to the top of them, but in the picture with the “thing”, its head is WELL above the top of those shelves. Also, those carts are not the sturdiest in the world, there is no way a good sized kid could stand in them without falling over. We have been to this place and seen those carts in person. Of course, there was no “hag” there that day so I can’t speak for “her”.

5. Sheila Schlederer

10/08/2015 at 2:46 PM

I almost spit my coffee across the room **points up to Zazz Afrazz*^^^^ “buying a sammich” BAHAHAHAHA!!

6. Danielle Meierhenry

10/08/2015 at 2:48 PM

Ghosts would OBVIOUSLY be into history – why are we discriminating against this dudes nostalgia??

7. Walter T. Rogers

10/08/2015 at 3:02 PM

Strange Creatures like This have And Always Will be a Part of Our Haunted Planet!!..

8. Hillary Brena

10/08/2015 at 3:50 PM

Its too bad Fact or Faked isn’t still on tv. They could figure out whats going on.

9. Aisling

10/08/2015 at 9:23 AM

That is definitely very odd.

10. JP

10/08/2015 at 11:07 AM

My daughter had a panic attack while doing through the Titanic exhibit at that museum. She said she felt very weird and couldn’t breath. As soon as we exited the exhibit she was fine.

11. Jess Meunier

10/08/2015 at 6:23 PM

I thought it looked like it was wearing jeans too.

12. Dan Easter

10/08/2015 at 12:16 PM

Here I was thinking that after I die grocery shopping would be over forever.
    So here we have a ghoul, ghost, something that is trying to grocery shop.

There is a Hell after all, and it doesn’t have a double coupon Monday.

13. greg

10/08/2015 at 5:06 PM

it has also left a bottle of water or something on the top shelf .Now thats scary!

14. Edwards Jeffrey

10/09/2015 at 12:54 AM

Bullshit! If your going to take a photo of your kid doing something you don’t put him off centre! This was purposely done!

• Martin Zuniga

10/17/2015 at 1:17 PM

I would normally agree with you but in this case if I were taking the pic, I would try to get as much of the surroundings since the surroundings is also the oddity that would make the pic more memorable.

15. Rachael Maack

10/09/2015 at 3:23 AM

Creepy!

16. Sb

10/08/2015 at 11:59 PM

Fake. Sweet tying to do to scare the kiddos, but total staged

17. CJ

10/09/2015 at 12:47 AM

In the last picture of the series the child on the aqua colored shirt in the lower left-hand corner appears to be looking right at the figure. It would be interesting to know what he was looking at.

18. Jann j

10/09/2015 at 12:48 AM

The face looks odd, as though the individual has brownish gauze across the face..

19. Clark Stephen

10/09/2015 at 4:47 PM

I believe in ghost but this one for me is fake. I mean, why is it I can see her wearing jeans? And 2nd i see some stuff on her trolley like bottle or bread or whatever long item than is then 3rd i could see her hand is holding something but due to fast movement of her hand i can’t tell what it is… Like the guy said he didn’t remember anyone behind that kid but why is there a trolley? I’m guessing someone left it there so that someone can go back and grab something what she forgot. Last but not least i can see her shadow as well…

20. David

10/09/2015 at 8:07 PM

It was really cool, that the photographer, not knowing the ghost was there was able to capture both of them dead center in the pic. Also, is that a ghost bottle and box that appeared on the shelf?

21. Fr Steve Carrington

10/10/2015 at 8:08 AM

Probably ET catching up on some grocery supplies.

22. Dana Matthews

10/10/2015 at 6:00 PM

I think a majority of people think this pic is a fake, or accidentally creepy. Agreed?

23. NJ_Cher

10/11/2015 at 9:13 AM

For me, the jury is still out. I studied the picture over carefully last night, and enlarged it. For awhile, I did think it was faked, but now I am not so sure. One reason I don’t think it’s fake is that it is so unusual looking. Generally speaking, few people have much of an imagination. I don’t think a person faking this could come up with anything so weird, confusing, etc. However, that is speculating on a motive, something that is entirely non-scientific, so take my rationale with a grain of salt…as you should with any other commentary that speculates on a motive. No one can say what another’s motive is. See attribution theory.

Anyway, here’s what I see:

–a woman who appears to be shopping
    –the woman has a veil on, held in place with a headband that has a rose or some other embellishment on it at the top. The veil has a pattern.
    –the woman’s face is also covered by the veil
    –the face is hard to see, but I see eyes and a mouth
    –the veil is also a poncho, or is separate; regardless of whether it’s one or two garments, it goes down into the cart as she leans over
    –there is a white strip on the poncho at the area near the elbow
    –the arm is distorted, especially at the elbow area, and does not appear to have a joint, like what a human might have
    –there appears to be only three fingers, or perhaps four with the middle two held together
    –the pants appear to be blue
    –she is not in the cart, but rather standing behind it. One can see a knee on the right hand side of where the cart would narrow if she were standing behind it
    Both knees appears to be bent slightly
    –there are items in the bottom, larger part of the cart
    –there is one item in the top part of the cart that appears to be a handbag. There seems to be a button attachment on the top and there is something that appears to attach it to her waist or arm, although this small “attachment-” looking thing could just be a loose thread
    –what she is holding appears to be a small baby doll. It has some type of white gauzy thing around its head. I see a little face in there. This would not be unusual in a museum shop.

24. Russell

10/11/2015 at 11:06 PM

I think it is just unintentionally creepy and it is a lady dressed oddly and out of focus. But who knows.
    For all I know it could be a real mystical being.

25. Gary Richards

10/11/2015 at 11:23 PM

Wow, Disclose.tv stole this entire article from you guys, word for word.

26. Rafael

10/12/2015 at 6:51 AM

This is a hoax. One, the canister on top next to the stupid image is not in the before picture and two, the milk container on the floor isn’t there any more.

• tali

10/17/2015 at 6:04 AM

Did you also notice that the two items on the shelf below the elephants were gone in the second photo?

27. NJ_Cher

10/12/2015 at 9:27 AM

To Rafael: So did the photographer say that the photos were snapped consecutively? If so, can you provide a link to that quote. If the photographer did say that, then there might be grounds for suspicion.

I reviewed the OP, but do not see anything about that. I did go to Reddit and check the original thread. Maybe I missed it?

28. rob

10/12/2015 at 11:45 AM

Not so scary -especially when you consider the “ghost” appears to be wearing blue jeans or possibly jean shorts on close inspection.

• Amirah Kukan

10/20/2015 at 3:58 PM

Honestly, so what if it is wearing blue jeans?! V everyone is saying that. Loads of people have died since the birth of denim. To me she looks like a Native American wearing a poncho and BLUE JEANS! Your point? Everyone’s POINT????

29. T Hex

10/12/2015 at 12:06 PM

Looks like the new Dr Doom from the last Fantastic 4 flop.

30. Jack

10/12/2015 at 3:48 PM

No idea if its fake or not, but for everyone who thinks the hag is wearing jeans look again. If you zoom in, you can clearly see that it is a blue box in the cart and not part of the hag itself.

31. Coppertop

10/12/2015 at 6:42 PM

I live in Fort Worth, actually. Maybe I’ll go visit and see if the old hag is hanging around.

32. deborah

10/13/2015 at 1:41 AM

The figure is casting a shadow on the shelf. Is it expected that a creepy hag ghost could do this?

33. Brian

10/14/2015 at 9:14 AM

Just tuned in by way of Rich Reynolds’ recommendation.

Yes an odd image and perhaps faked of perhaps a mistaken jumping kid in a toy cart blurred captured in the moment of his nefarious leap…

But here ate some things so noted from comments above:

– This is a children’s play area so don’t confuse it with your local H-E-B.

– Adults also play with kids in these areas, so not unusual to have parents play acting in photos (probably not jumping in a cart though).

– Parents snap photos of their kids – don’t ask dumb questions as to why anyone would take a shot in there. People do it all the time.

– The cart is really there physically and it’s the one the other kid was playing with, but the cloaked figure does not seem to be there physically.

– Jeans and head phones? Why do you think it’s odd for an apparition to be wearing jeans? Are they supposed to be wearing a dress or shorts to be real?

– Theye is a head piece and no it does not seem like the kid in the back was waring one seconds before. The headpiece last looks to me to be a floral hair band with a little crown type front.

– The kid in the back wasn’t wearing these clothes and certainly not a dirty hooded cloak.

Given that cloaked apparitions are pretty common, and that they appear in all sorts of sizes and odd shapes, there is merit to this one being real.

More interesting would be the history of the building. Most children’s museums are nonprofits located in old buildings. There may be a connection that links the apparition’s image to a particular time period.

34. Brian

10/14/2015 at 9:16 AM

Please excuse typos – autocorrect nonsense.

35. threedoves

10/15/2015 at 8:03 AM

This really reminds me of the gray lady ‘ghost’ captured at Hampton Court earlier this year. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/ghost-grey-lady-caught-camera-5225692

In that case, most people seemed to think it was some kind of artifact caused by the cell phone’s camera. A really really creepy artifact. (I’m not entirely convinced, but it may have been debunked more thoroughly when I wasn’t looking.)

I really want to be skeptical of this shot, but I also really want to believe it, because it’s an awesome shot and I do believe in ghosts. But! It could just be a museum worker putting the stuff in the play area back in order (and moving very quickly, causing a her to show up as a colorless blur), or it could be some kind of camera malfunction, or… it could be a ghost lady with no legs and a veil over her face. Jury’s out. Probably it’s not the latter.

(But then why does she have no color? Why is she wearing what looks like old mourning garb? Why does this shot give me the heebitieejeebities?)

36. hannah

10/23/2015 at 2:17 PM

Look at the kid in the blue…he keeps staring in the corner.

37. PD42

10/23/2015 at 3:27 PM

I don’t suppose it would make any difference to anyone if they knew this museum has several Islamic families that are members who visit on a regular basis and the women from those families dress in traditional Islamic garb? That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this image – one of our Islamic guests caught while in motion.

And yes – this is a children’s area, but parents are hardly discouraged from joining their children as they play, so there’s no reason this couldn’t be an adult.

In addition, for those who say the figure is ‘crouching’ in the cart, that distinctly looks like a bag on her hip, you can even see the bag strap.

To be honest, I love a good ghost photo, too, but this one – while maybe not an intentional hoax, is easily debunked.

• TBR

11/03/2015 at 7:22 PM

Just curious, but do you work here? Not to discount what you’re saying but it would be helpful in debunking this if you had real life experience with this place. Thanks!

38. mike

11/01/2015 at 1:49 PM

1) Everyone is assuming that “it” is a “she”. It looks a bit like long hair, kinda like there’s shawl/veil but breasts, face, legs, hips are all indistinguishable. The biggest reason you’re calling it a “she” is because that’s what Dana called it in the article, which is the same reason you’re presuming it’s a ghost/hag at all. Behold, crowd manipulation or maybe NLP if you buy into that.

2) Occam’s razor. Occam’s razor. Occam’s razor.

3) Yet another blurry photo of a supposed apparition. Those pesky ghosts just won’t hold still. Good thing they can still fool CCD’s the way they did photographic emulsions, at least

4) It was submitted (not found, but initially submitted for review) on the public internet.

5) It was submitted in the public internet on Reddit

6) It was submitted in the public internet on Reddit by someone calling themselves “KRAMERisKRUNK”

#4/5/6 are decidedly circumstantial but replace the scenario with someone saying “Make tons of money doing this” and see how you feel. Why do you give this one more stock than that?

39. kyah harrington

11/02/2015 at 5:05 PM

What makes this photo more believable is the unclaimed trolley. im not really sure about this one???

40. Yogo

11/07/2015 at 5:55 AM

If the photographer thought he/she had snapped something truly supernatural or even suspicious, really he/she would have contacted the museum and they would have reviewed the security camera footage. Every inch of every museum (especially anywhere children play) is on camera 24/7. I call hoax.

41. Theresa

11/28/2015 at 3:15 AM

This looks fake with the boy not in the same place as he is in both pictures….one picture he is shopping, in the next picture he is at the counter checking out, plus the canister on the top shelf by the ghost is missing in one of the pictures…I think it is fake.

42. MisterVec

12/03/2015 at 3:32 PM

A few things jump out here:

1) The carts here are really tiny. See the taller girl in all of the pictures? She doesn’t appear to be even 13, but if she were to stand up straight, the front of that cart would be about knee-level.

2) There’s a space behind the set of purple shelves (full of plastic fruit, it seems) near the back of the picture. The kid in grey seems to be looking over there in one picture. It’s tall enough for our “apparition” to have been hidden there, especially if it was leaning down, like you would if you were perusing the bins.

3) The apparition itself seems to have an arm over it’s shoulder. You can see what appears to be an arm draped over it’s left (our right) shoulder, complete with a hand and fingers. It seems to be pointing at something, at least to me. The blur to the right is the right length and shape to be another arm coming up from under the other shoulder.

4) The overall bulk of the apparition SEEMS to be about right for an adult bending down. The “cloak” we’re seeing on its back seems about right for one of those hairy-looking knit jackets you see at department stores sometimes.

My gut reaction on this is what’ we’re seeing is a child being given a hug from behind by their mom. The kid is facing towards and holding something and the mom is pointing at it or something in the cart with her left hand. We see blurring elsewhere in the same picture (see the kid in green in the foreground), so some of the odd distention and fuzziness we see here could easily be due to movement.

43. Chris

12/04/2015 at 5:15 PM

Solved, I drew this pic of my theory.

44. Fir3fly

12/17/2015 at 11:44 AM

Ever heard of echoes? The spirit-energy equivalent to physical footprints or soundwave echoes. I’ve seen a few, and most seen are mistaken for ghosts.

This just looks like an ancient woman, Inuit or some kind of Eskimo, folding furs and cloth, hence her leaned over posture.

Her right elbow is under her fur shawl, and her wrist is close to her body but under the furs she’s handling. Her left hand would be holding the outstretched part of the fur. What is apparent of her face and hair seems to match this theory of her ethnicity. Sadly, I don’t have any thoughts on her legs or apparent blue jeans, but it appears she’s exactly between the kiddie cart and shelf, and it’s hiding her legs’ clothing’s true appearance and colors.

Really, this looks quite normal but really, really unique to be able to see something apparently this ancient with modern technology. And of course she’s casting a shadow, and no, I don’t believe she’s the child in the background, moving during the camera flash. Her shadow is undoubtedly wrong for the image, giving the impression of Photoshop work, but it’s right for the time at which she was, and the shadow on the shelf may be an optical illusion of the kiddie cart. Notice how she appears to be shaded as if in a building/tent with no light source or under an overcast day, whereas the children have brighter lighting and starker shadows from the museum’s lights and camera’s flash.

Apparently Fort Worth is at the same location that the bottom of the Ice Age was as far as we know.

45. Neo

01/06/2016 at 8:18 PM

When I become a ghost I hope I have no interest in collecting plastic foods in an overpriced museum…

46. Abigail Engel

02/25/2016 at 9:48 PM

Looks like she is wearing a plastic rain poncho to me. But, what do I know.

47. Traci Francisco

08/25/2016 at 3:40 AM

We’ve taken our son there a few times and never heard of it being haunted. I am fascinated by this! We attended the Titanic exhibit as well. It seems unlikely to me that an actual woman would be there dressed like this and go unnoticed.

48. Queenie

02/17/2017 at 3:38 AM

I like the fact that she is just chilling in a shopping trolley. She’s probably on vacation bless her.