48-Hour Ghost Hunt Promises "100% Proof" of Paranormal Activity

48-Hour Ghost Hunt Promises “100% Proof” of Paranormal Activity

Welles House Lorraine Warren

Have you ever heard of the Welles House in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania?

Neither have I. And judging by its ghetto-esque, sad-looking exterior, you wouldn’t jump to that conclusion when passing it on the street.

In December, the house was purchased by San Franciscan ghost hunter and creator of LiveSciFi Tim Woods. Woods had always wanted to own a haunted house, and after seeing the “haunted” aspect trumped up in the real estate marketing for the property, he couldn’t resist. Perhaps the strongest sell is how the Wilkes-Barre Times Leader compared it to the Amityville Horror in articles going back as far as 1979—the year the Amityville Horror movie was released.

It should be no surprise then that Lorraine Warren herself dropped by in 1980 and agreed that yes, the house was “definitely haunted” (even though she wasn’t allowed inside by the owners):

“Haunting phenonenon has definitely taken place here. Vibrations still remain here. I can feel them… People who lived here were driven to self-destruction of the body through drugs, alcohol, even suicide.”

Though it sounds like a clichéd summary of Amityville Horror, there were suicides at the house in 1940 and 1950. But adding more to the Amityville similarities is the fact that former owner Walker Bennett moved out of the house in 1978 because it was haunted, according to him. According to the Susquehanna Savings Association, the house was foreclosed on because Bennett couldn’t keep up with payments. It stood vacant for a year before being rented out to Mr. and Mrs. Harry Gailey who “never heard a noise” out of the oh-so-scary-and-evil house.

Fast forward to 2013 when ghost hunters start visiting the house and capturing evidence. What kind of evidence? Electronic voice phenomena (EVP), “strange balls of light” (i.e. orbs), electromagnetic fields, tugged clothing, scratch marks, and “negative feelings”. Perhaps it’s not the most impressive list of evidence, but it seems Woods is determined to blow our minds.

Beginning at 9:00 PM EST on February 15, Tom Woods and his crew will be joined by haunted object aficionado John Zaffis for a 48-hour marathon ghost hunt at Welles House, broadcast live via the internet. Their press release promises “100% proof of paranormal activity” at Welles House. While I’m not too optimistic on the “100% proof” part, anyone who wants to sit back and watch people hunt for spooks for two solid days non-stop can view the stream for free on the LiveSciFi YouTube Channel.

1. Raven Storm

02/14/2014 at 8:09 AM

I can think of a whole lot of other things I’d rather spend my time on.

2. alanborky

02/14/2014 at 9:29 AM

’48-Hour Ghost Hunt Promises “100% Proof”’.

100% Proof?

What’s tha’ then Ken the strength o’ the bottled ghost piss they flog y’after the tour [or slip y’before it starts]?

Pers’nally I’m 100% convinced jus’ lookin’ at the horrific zombie creature stagg’rin’ round in front o’ the house.

You an’ Raven Storm tho’ seem t’think the ghosts showin’ up’s go’n’o be 100% *poof!*

3. Brian D. Parsons

02/15/2014 at 8:53 AM

I’m not sure if anyone associated with this show understands the definition of “proof” versus that of “evidence”. Proving something would mean a sequence of steps to validate the existence of ghosts, this isn’t going to happen with a bunch of random things (i.e., orbs, EVPs, moving objects, etc.) especially in a 48 hour period and in a completely uncontrollable environment. Maybe they don’t realize that there has been a scientific pursuit of “proof” for over 130 years which has yielded little in the way of “evidence”. It is easy to gather “evidence” especially if one speculates, jumps to conclusions, or is unwilling to problem solve to find out what the cause of events are.

Maybe I take things a bit too seriously, but I am not one to make bold claims despite actually using scientific methods. If you want to have a show that shocks and entertains I have absolutely no issue with that. However, when you begin to make bold claims that would mean the discovery of the century I think there is an obvious lack of understanding of what is truly happening in this home. While the events may be real to many different people this goes a long way to proving ghosts exist; which the last time I checked they still don’t despite our best efforts.

• Ken Summers

02/15/2014 at 2:44 PM

Oh, I’m with you, Brian. As with any kind of media, you know how it can be… “You see that weird shadow/flash of light? See it? It’s PROOF!!” It makes for mildly amusing entertainment, but not much in advancing the cause of figuring out what the heck is going on.

I’m all about telling an interesting story, maybe including a little speculation, and leaving the ultimate conclusions what they are: unknown. Maybe that’s why I can’t ever hold back my sarcasm and giggling about stuff like this. It’s also why I always feel the need to dig a bit more deeper than a short press release, read the news articles, and say when there’s some doubt about the story altogether.

But still, after all these years, I just can’t bring myself to take the paranormal all that seriously. I love it, and I find more questions than answers when I dig deeper into lots of things, but at least in my mind, matters of life and death aren’t exactly, um, matters of life and death.

4. Pingback: 48-Hour Ghost Hunt Promises “100% Proof” Of Paranormal Activity LIVE 9PM EST (Video) | BrightSide Global News

5. Jim

02/16/2014 at 12:53 AM

Let’s see: The scientific method enables the creation of the atomic bomb, vaccines, computer chips, television,rockets, cellular phones, the combustible engine, the ball=point pen,sound recording, jet flight and polymers among other things. Ghost hunters discover “Did you hear that?”.

6. Pingback: 48-Hour Ghost Hunt Promises “100% Proof” of Paranormal Activity | Paranormal Headlines

7. Karen

10/17/2014 at 2:24 PM

I went to college in Wilkes-Barre & lived there when I was a kid. Never heard of the Welles House.
    A flood pretty much devastated the town in 1972. Was the Welles House damaged? Could that be what causes “spooky” doings?
    The Warrens always found “demons” wherever they went, so I wouldn’t put too much stock in what Lorraine said, especially if she wasn’t even allowed inside.
    As for “proof”, I with Brian about “evidence” vs “proof”. Sheesh!