Paranormal Investigator Calls Ghost Photo "Most Impressive of Entire Career" [UPDATED]

ghostphoto

A spooky photograph captured last month in a New Jersey cemetery has some paranormal investigators saying it’s the holy grail of paranormal evidence. But could there be another explanation for the striking image?

Paranormal radio show host Mark Johnson posted the image to his Facebook page yesterday, telling his friends that the image might just be the best one he’s ever seen in his career.

This photo was taken by a friend’s son last month in a cemetery in Wantage, NJ. This is without a doubt one of the most impressive apparition photos that I’ve ever seen in my career. No description is necessary.

The image appears to show a translucent woman in period clothing sitting by a tombstone, staring vacantly into the dark. But in this new age where every cell phone can download a $.99 ghost hoaxing app, can images this good be trusted?

Wantaj, New Jersey cemetery ghost

I asked Mark if he thought the kid behind the image was trustworthy, and pointed out that, judging by the size of the spooky ghost lady in comparison to the tombstones, she would be the spirit of a lilluputian-sized midget, but he insists that there’s no reason the photo should be fake.

One of the main reasons I’m impressed with this photo and don’t feel it’s a fake is that the friend who shared it with me did so on a whim and showed them to me on her phone. I asked her to send me a copy. She and her son have absolutely no reason to fake a photo. They are not seeking publicity and they would have no reason to try to fool me. I know that we have are a skeptical group of researchers and we call into question everything we see, but sometimes I think we can over-think things and the simple answers may be more in line with the truth. Yes, this could be a fake and we really have no way of proving it one way or the other. So all things being equal, I lean towards it being genuine based on the facts surrounding how the photo came to me.

For what it’s worth, I spent half an hour googling the images used in various ghost apps, and also wasted $.99 on one, and still have been unable to find a matching image of a woman in a dress. So maybe there really is a ghostly midget woman haunting a cemetery in New Jersey.

ghost captured in Wantage, NJ

What do you think? Check out the original image below, do your own detective work, and share your findings with us on Facebook, on twitter @WhoForted, or in the comments section below.

UPDATE: It’s a hoax

With apologies to hopeful ghost midget hunters everywhere, we can safely say that the photo is a fake.. as suspected. The spooky gal is a perfect match for a puffy-shirted woman included in a ghost app, as pointed out by detectives Tonya Hacker and Bob Dezon. Stellar work, guys.

Here’s the ghost app image as provided by PSIRO (who provide a great resource for sniffing out suspected fakes):
ghostappwoman

Greg Newkirk

Greg Newkirk

Editor-In-Chief at Week In Weird
Writer, adventurer, and professional monster chaser, Greg Newkirk is the founder and Editor-In-Chief of Week In Weird, Director of The Traveling Museum of the Paranormal & Occult and one-half of the prolific investigative duo Planet Weird. Learn more about Greg.
Greg Newkirk
Greg Newkirk

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Aimee
2 years 9 months ago

Oh! I find this photo delightful! Not because it’s proof of ghosts, but because it is a perfect example of Victorian styled ghost photography. That ghost was definitely added during “post production.” It has the look of an old Daguerreotype. But this is still lovely, from the point of view of someone who loves those old hoaxes. They were so much more elegant than the crap people try to pass off these days.

Patrick Moore
2 years 9 months ago
Not convincing. I also just wasted a half hour looking for a matching old woman and didn’t find one, but that doesn’t really mean anything. The thing that bugs me a little bit is the credulity of Mark Johnson. Everyone knows what he does, yet he assumes that showing him that photo is just random? And he believes it because the person who took it would “have absolutely no reason to fake a photo?” Huh? No reason? A) Of course they have a reason! This discussion *is* a reason! And B) It’s impossible to know what someone’s reason might be.… Read more »
Andy
2 years 9 months ago
The nice thing about this picture, faked or not, is that unlike a billion other “proof” pictures this one is in focus. Keeping an image in focus seems to be a hard thing for paranormal photographers to do. There are too many “mists” and “orbs” that are cameras trying to find enough light to take a decent picture. So the shutter speed is slow to suck in as much light as possible and if anything movies the light streaks, boom ghost mist, or ghost light… insert ghost-ee thing there. I know very little about the degree of difficulty it takes… Read more »
Aimee
2 years 9 months ago

“I know very little about the degree of difficulty it takes to photoshop a picture like this…”

I could do it in about ten minutes.

Andy
2 years 9 months ago

Ten minutes, huh, I always hoped people slave away for hours or days with hoaxing stuff. It is sad anyone with a phone app can take a few minutes and waste everyone’s time.

bob dezon
2 years 9 months ago

Fake. Here is the source image for this manipulation : http://www.psiro.com/index.php/continued-education/ghost-app-photos.html#

JeremyZero
2 years 9 months ago

Man, all these fakes are really getting me down. Ghost apps are making me start to miss orbs. At least orbs weren’t deliberate fakes, they were just misidentified.

stiver
2 years 9 months ago

Congrats to detectives Tonya Hacker and Bob Dezon. Interesting names. Can we learn more about their work, website?

Chris
2 years 9 months ago

Once again, another hoax that makes ever proving something real all but impossible. If anyone ever comes forward with a decent image that is real, good luck proving it.

2 years 9 months ago

THIS photo I still have on my flip phone (Nokia – not a smartphone) is BY FAR the best evidence I have seen yet for the afterlife.

Not altered in any way. No flash. Just a standard utility flashlight shone into the empty cell @ Alcatraz.

Psychic Carla Baron
Star of TruTV’s “Haunting Evidence”

Dan W
1 year 2 months ago

Nice! Thanks for the website link. However, there seems to be a lot of negative reviews about you.

2 years 9 months ago

Well…show how much of an expert Mark Johnson is. He probably asked Irene Allen-Block, the ‘psychic’, if it was real.

2 years 8 months ago

How’s the copy & paste career coming along, Lon?

trackback

[…] Via: Para Nexus News […]

2 years 8 months ago
Typical of the so-called paranormal community, I post a picture that I thought was impressive at first glance and asked other people for their opinions. I didn’t think it was faked due to the source and how it came to me, but the thought that it was a phone app creation never occurred to me. So the photo was proven as a hoax and I learned something from it. Big deal, life goes on. What I don’t understand is the hate and vitriol that comes from people in the community when we’re all supposed to be working together. Is this… Read more »
2 years 8 months ago

That’s right Mark…blame it on the ‘paranormal community’ after you step deep into crap in an attempt to show people how much of an ‘expert’ you are.

2 years 8 months ago

Thanks for proving my above point, Lon.

2 years 8 months ago

That being? Punt….

Teresa Chance
2 years 8 months ago
Nice article. I too wondered if it may be real. We should be helping the others in the community to find solutions, not putting another down for what we see as shortcomings. We have all made mistakes – even those who have been at it for years. I’m sure most people have trusted another individual with what is shared only to find out it’s not the truth. I know I was duped into believing hogwash about things before finding the truth for myself. Simply stated, Mark Johnson took the pic that was shared with him by an acquaintance and then… Read more »
charlene
2 years 8 months ago

I have an app on my phone that does the same thing and it was free on top of that the photos I did look much better then this one a little more real. He got screwed paying .99 for the app that did that!

trackback

[…] From WhoFortedBlog.com – Paranormal Investigator Calls Ghost Photo “Most Impressive of Entire Career” [UPDATED]: […]

wpDiscuz