Spooky Photo Shows Phantom, Expert: "I Believe This is a Real Ghost"

littleghostgirl

A New Hampshire man made a startling discovery when he noticed a ghostly figure photobombing a friend’s Facebook snapshot. Now, an expert photo analyst is saying that the phantom is real.

Two weeks ago, Daniel Tanner decided to peruse a friend’s online photo album when something eerie caught his eye. In the background of an image that shows Tanner’s friend posing with her canine companion, what appears to be the ghost of a young girl can be seen peering through a window.

“My friend has been claiming for months that her house is haunted,” Tanner told Reddit. “Her husband took this pic a few days ago.”

Tanner claims that the only people in the house at the time of the photograph were his friend and her husband, who snapped the image.

While plenty of skeptics were quick to argue that the phantom girl was simply a trick of the eye, a a reflection, or even a clever hoax, the only investigator to bring any expertise to the table was a veteran photo analyst with 15 years of experience under his belt. After performing an in-depth search for evidence of manipulation, he gave the amateur sleuths an incredibly detailed breakdown of the image. His official opinion? The spooky photo is the real deal.

In summary, I cannot find any tampering evident in this photograph. Whatever this is, I’m unable to disprove it. The only other thing I can possibly suggest *might* be going on in this picture is a very elaborate projection set up, but even that I don’t believe is the case because the lighting in the mud room is quite dim. I would expect a projection to cause light glare on the mirror, and there is none. So….. I guess I’m saying I believe this is a real ghost.

ghostgirlanalysis

Here’s hoping that Tanner’s friends don’t mind babysitting scary ghost children.

What do you make of the creepy image? Is the photo expert correct in his pro-phantom stance? Or did someone go through a lot of trouble just to have a cooler Facebook profile image than their friends? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook, tweet us @WeirdHQ, or leave a comment below!

Greg Newkirk

Greg Newkirk

Editor-In-Chief at Week In Weird
Writer, adventurer, and professional monster chaser, Greg Newkirk is the founder and Editor-In-Chief of Week In Weird, Director of The Traveling Museum of the Paranormal & Occult and one-half of the prolific investigative duo Planet Weird. Learn more about Greg.
Greg Newkirk
Greg Newkirk

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Michael
3 years 28 days ago

I always love the claim that its an untouched photo. That may be true but faking a photo like where you have a strong light source and a glass window with night time or a dark room on the other side isn’t hard to do.

[email protected]
3 years 25 days ago

Well, she’s wearing white, has light hair done up in a wavy bun….. a dark coloured dog. The window acts like a mirror when it’s dark outside, and even in low light, her back would reflect off the glass with her light colours… but, her dog would not, being a dark colour. It’s the reflection of her back…. even the shoulders line up…. including the seam! The picture quality is very poor… but, this is not a ghost. It’s her back.

Gabriel Knight
3 years 23 days ago

Her back ha your obviously a skeptic how for one can her back create a face looking right through the window its real ive seen stranger things now she knows for sure her living space has at.least one mpre occupant

3 years 12 days ago

Yes ur rite, it’s tha back of her wavery blond hed yo! GOOD CALL!

2 years 11 months ago

Nailed it. She’s a Backface. Equally paranormal. That’s the kind of outside the box thinking we need round these parts.

ash
2 years 11 months ago
If it’s her back, then why is her head not leaning at the same angle as the girl’s, why are there clear features on the girl’s face, when there should be a mess of hair in a bun? The chances of her hair creating a perfectly symmetrical, face-shaped reflection with hair and shoulders is unlikely. Why does it look like the girl’s hair is out, over her shoulders, when if it was a reflection of the woman, it would just be her shoulders? If you look, you can see the girl standing and peering through the window, and you can… Read more »
dawn
1 year 3 months ago

I’m with u on this one. Its def a reflection of her back.

Chris
3 years 24 days ago

What bothers me about the image is it’s looks just like one of those cherub statues. You can even see the hint of a wing over the left shoulder.

Jim
3 years 21 days ago

You can thanks to pareidolia, but I see the reflection of the back of her head. Her hair is all bunched up creating some ambiguous patterns

Michael
3 years 21 days ago

I always have a big problem with photos like this where all the conditions are right to show a reflection. Its easy to reproduce a situation like this. What is also a bother is the light and shadows on the figure’s face in the window indicates that it is in the room in front of the woman. Items like this where there’s reflections going on always leave way too much to doubt.

2 years 11 months ago

I think you’ve got it!

RadioJim
3 years 28 days ago

For a flash to illuminate there must be a reflection off solid matter. Are we ready to say that spirit apparitions are made of matter, therefore are not non-corporeal?

Gregory
3 years 26 days ago
Yes, I have NO idea why anyone is trying to “hunt” ghosts with cameras, whether still or video. That goes for motion detectors, anything really that depends on a material manifestation. This would also rule out EVPs (gotta have lungs and all the other apparatus to even moan, right?). The only “lookit teh ghost in this frame” argument is that yes, ghosts are able to manifest from in-corporeality and back (at will?) OR are somehow able to manipulate these devices to put images (sounds) in them that weren’t there when the device was originally used. We’re really approaching this backwards.… Read more »
Gabriel Knight
3 years 23 days ago
Your suggesting that we all do what is called matrixing or our mind tries to.make sense of wjat it sees but i in my opinion beleive your wrong saying evps and ghostly images arent possible ,heres how most equipment used in these ventures use ir lighting because it is said that spirits bend color and light spectrums so with the right lighting at the right time its possible and as for evps its all about emf you see even humans give off a small amount of it , things like recorders pick these things up because of slight fluctuations in… Read more »
Jona D
3 years 22 days ago

You’re really expecting people to give you a scientific explanation for seeing and hearing ghosts? Really? If they could do that, it wouldn’t be PARAnormal anymore. Sheesh!

not even wrong
3 years 26 days ago

Huh?? A flash illuminates due to lighting conditions. Are we ready to say that some apparitions are seen in poor lighting? Yes we are.

trackback

[…] Full Article Source […]

Mike Franklin
3 years 26 days ago

The concept of ghosts leaving visual evidence is one that’s always good for debate. The thing we might be able to guess is that a disembodied spirit could perhaps be able to harness heat as a form of energy to then project a kind of plasmatic image of their former physical selves.

Like I said, just a guess. None of us will know until we get there and try it for ourselves, lol.

StevenHawkings
3 years 26 days ago

Someone explain why “ghost”s wear clothes. It is as if the novelists lines has reached a stuck mode they can’t shake. We need nude ghosts for any belief from me.

kathy
3 years 25 days ago

I see more than a little girl ghost, I see a man with a hat on the side of her.

Ken
3 years 25 days ago

I see that also.There is also an older woman’s face behind the girl that see.

Ken
3 years 25 days ago

I just noticed another thing…..what I wrote in that first comment looks really dumb.However, I see the man with the hat and an older woman that seems to be behind that girl.

Jack
3 years 25 days ago

I know these people and I can tell you right off, it IS a hoax. They tried this before. The process is easy, any idiot with a computer and a camera can do it.

They know it’s a hoax but won’t admit to it.

There you have it.

RayG
3 years 25 days ago

ummm, perhaps a child standing to the right of the photographer being reflected in the window? He “claims” that one else was in the house.. OR- there is a photo/statue(creepy as it looks) to the right of the photographer located in just the right place to be reflected.

And if it IS an “un-retouched photo”, how often is a black strip and a zoom bubble part of an unedited photo?

Mnynames
3 years 25 days ago

This is, regretably, an easy one to disprove. The “ghost” is a reflection of the back of her head in the window. in the enhanced photo, you can even see the person who took the picture, and what I presume is the doorframe to the room.

Kevin
3 years 25 days ago
It never ceases to amaze me how many people attempt to debunk evidence of the paranormal just because they have never witnessed it with their own eyes. That is not to say that some of it is faked. Which it is. Some of it is a play of light. I will grant you that. But I personally and my brother have seen a full body apparition, both completely awake, no drugs or chemicals and no delusion. No we did not get a picture because we were kids and did not have a camera available. This was back in the early… Read more »
Mike Franklin
3 years 25 days ago

Kevin – “It never ceases to amaze me how many people attempt to debunk evidence of the paranormal just because they have never witnessed it with their own eyes

The web is chock full of photoshop desk’perts. Most assume that since they think that they could produce a fake, then the next person already has.

The world is a fascinating place. Dismissing things out of hand can often cause one to miss quite a lot 🙂

2 years 11 months ago

The early 70s?, interesting.

Bonnie Jo Davis
3 years 25 days ago

It’s a fake. I have seen that exact little girl as a statue in more than one garden. I recognized it right away.

Ghostowl
3 years 25 days ago

Looks like the reflection of a cherub statue in the window to me.

Mike
3 years 24 days ago

My first thought exactly. I just saw this one at our local landscape supply business.

Brian Parsons
3 years 25 days ago

So, a photo “expert” can’t explain the photo which automatically means it’s a “real” ghost? There remains so many potential explanations and leaning toward a ghost is silly without digging deeper into the original photo, camera and setting. Never mind that ghosts are not tangible beings, never mind there are many apps to create images like this, never mind there is a little thing called Pepper’s ghost…

Aaron
3 years 25 days ago

I just see Archie Bunker’s kitchen.

the empty pizza boxes on the trash can are very intriguing though.

Mark
3 years 24 days ago

I think it is a reflection of a little doll standing off the the side. The face looks a bit to perfect for me.

Tamlin
3 years 24 days ago

While I would love to have a good solid photo of a ghost appear, I am pretty sure this is a reflection of a picture. I’ve seen this ‘ghost’ before someplace on canvas but haven’t found the canvas yet. I’ve only eliminated Les Mis, but I am sure I’ve seen it. It might be fun to see who can find the picture.

Jf
3 years 24 days ago

Looks like a garden statue to me.

3 years 23 days ago

It’s the reflection of the back of her head.

trackback

[…] Go to this article […]

Nyx
3 years 22 days ago

Don’t blink…

George
3 years 21 days ago

I have seen a picture just like this and was thinking it was a ghost. I ended up be a LCD television on the wall on. The opposite side of room in the reflection. Look at the border around the TV screen,

Sorry not a ghost,

trackback

[…] here for the whole […]

Enigma
3 years 12 days ago

Interesting. To dismiss the photo based on a layman’s assessment, without adequate statistical information and scientfic investigation, is meaningless. As is, it raises more questions.

Bill
3 years 6 days ago

I think the real mystery here is why someone would want that yellow in a room of their house.

Bryan Davis
3 years 6 days ago

Look very close, the little girl is also holding a schnawzer type dog as well.

N
2 years 11 months ago

It could be very much a real photo. It does indeed look like a girl in that photo. If indeed they were the only 2 people in the house as they claim, it could not be a reflection from someone inside the house. However, there is also something called “matrixing” That means this: when the brain sees an image that it is trying to process and it can’t, it will form an image of that which the brain thinks it should be, whichever comes close to it. It’s a bit hard to explain though LOL

trackback

[…] Man Discovers Phantom Figure in Facebook Photo, Image Analyst: “I Believe This is a Real Ghost” Who Forted […]

trackback

penky
2 years 11 months ago

hey whats up ? i love this website but its dead for some weeks ! 🙁 c´mon! 😀

Matthew
2 years 11 months ago

“Real” doesn’t automatically mean “ghost”. I’m sure the camera expert already believes in ghosts and his conclusion is a simple matter of confirmation bias. I bet a scientist or a better camera expert could have provided a better, plausible explanation for the image – not that many of you who believe in ghosts would accept alternative explanations when presented with them, but those explanations exist. I’ve seen ghosts, and I don’t believe in them because I was provided with a scientific explanation for why I saw my “ghosts”.

2 years 11 months ago

MWHAHAHAHAHAHA IM A GHOST AND IM GONNA SPOOK YOU GUYS THIS HALLOWEEN SO U BETTER GIMME SOME CANDIES OR IMA GO SPOOKY ON YA’LL MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH BOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOO I KNOW WHAT YA’LL DID LAST WINTER OOPS I MEAN SUMMER XD.

Amy
2 years 10 months ago

I don’t trust “ghost” photos that involve glass (windows, mirrors, etc). It’s just too likely that it’s a refection. In this photo, there are even what looks like two glass windows, one on the outside door and one on the mudroom door. This could be an indirect reflection of someone standing outside the house, or in another room. Glass also has a way of warping over time and sometimes it makes images that our mind can “matrix” into a face. Too much glass to be real.

Christina
2 years 10 months ago

Too many fakes have ruined it for me. I now no longer give the photographer the benefit of the doubt nor do I put them in the “innocent til proven guilty” category. It is now their responsibility to prove to me that this is real. Sorry but data ( some call it evidence) that proves the paranormal exists has to be looked at with doubt first. If it can withstand scrutiny, well then maybe there is something to it.

mimi
2 years 8 months ago

its a painting in a frame sitting on a char or stool or table. Its in a clear frame and is styled like an cheap oil painting

steven
2 years 8 months ago

there are 2 faces in the window

keith
2 years 2 months ago
whether that photo was real or not! its not my concern at all.. but for those who posted here i want to tell u this.. some unknown entities/creatures or even images of a ghosts appearing on photos are true.. cos i’ve experienced capturing it not once or twice or even trice..! and as a plus to my claims, i still have the photos with me! i had a photo captured on my bedroom and surprisingly saw ( first image ) a fat boy leaning on the cabinet while standing on top of a small drawer.. i was in a state… Read more »
keith
2 years 2 months ago

if only there’s an expert reading this right now i would be glad to let you examine all these photos taken in my bedroom and pls do explain those images which were in there! hope science could do so much explanation on this.. cos honestly, i can’t afford to step in my room at all..! i am getting more afraid each and evry single day cos i only live here with my 7months old baby.. i can sense he sees something lurking around this hauz.. cos i often see him watching and following some unseen creatures..

Fagen Flambe
1 year 5 months ago

15 years experience, eh? Our super analyst must be nearly blind.

Deborah
1 year 18 days ago

It’s a resin garden ornament. Here’s a better image of it. http://www.gardenornamentsdirect.com/girl-holding-dress-garden-statue.html

Another critic has pointed out that light and shadow indicate it is in front of the woman in the picture. It certainly is – and is probably set on a bucket so you can see more than the top of its head. Because it is seen in reflection, we’re seeing the right side of the statue, which is not visible in the GardenOrnamentsDirect image. That view shows the left side.

As an irrelevant (oops! almost put irreverent) aside, the statue also doubles as a bird bath.

Willie
2 months 12 days ago

It does resemble your typical Cherub statue that you can buy in garden store (see link).

However, I suspect it’s nothing more than a reflection of the back of the woman and the interior. Mix this with a slice of pareidolia and there is your answer. Next! 🙂

wpDiscuz