Sasquatch Snapped? New Trailcam Photo Shows Ape-Like Creature Lurking Virginia Forest

Virginia Trailcam Bigfoot

A strange new photograph submitted to a Virginia newspaper has Bigfoot hunters wondering if a young Sasquatch was captured on film, and they’re drawing comparisons to another famous image of an alleged man-ape.

The photo of the mysterious creature was discovered among snapshots taken by a trail camera placed in the mountains of Southwestern Virginia by Roger Williams, an outdoorsman who wasted no time submitting the bizarre image to his local newspaper.

“Carefully scrutinizing the image, it appears that the right arm shows fingers as the animal grasps the base of the tree stump,” he told The Southwest Times. “It also has elongated feet similar to a man’s appendages. Its fur is matted on the back but thin on the arms and legs. Unfortunately, the head and face are not shown by the image taken.”

The 2007 Jacobs Trailcam Photo

The 2007 Jacobs Trailcam Photo

It wasn’t long before cryptozoologists pointed out the striking similarities to a set of trail cam images captured by Bigfoot researcher Rick Jacobs in 2007. Both photos appear to show a lanky ape-like creature, and in the case of the famous Jacobs photos, researchers with the BFRO concluded that the images showed what they believed to be a juvenile Sasquatch.

While Bigfoot hunters and internet commenters alike pointed to the Jacobs trail cam images as evidence that this new photo shows a man-ape, Roger Williams isn’t as convinced, wondering if he may have simply captured a young bear with a skin disease.

It has to be a bear, does it not? I hunt this area annually and have seen no sign of a Bigfoot. I have seen bear scat and tracks before, so I can identify them.

No unidentified tracks, droppings, or any other indications of a large upright predator in the woods have ever been found, that I know of.

There were no discernible tracks on the leaf-covered ground near the camera where it was picked up. The mystery remains!

So what do you think? Did Roger manage to capture a photo of a young Bigfoot lurking the Virginia mountainside? Or did his trailcam simply snap a photo of a sickly bear? Let us know what you think! Drop us a line on Facebook, tweet us @WhoForted, or leave a your thoughts in the comments below!

1. Marty Doll

08/31/2013 at 6:44 AM

It is unclear what that is , would be better if the face and front of the creature could be seen. If that is a Bigfoot then how come no proof or evidence of one has been seen until now. And as always in the wild if there is a juvenile there is a mother so where was that? I say bear

• MERRYL BEVAN

11/13/2013 at 3:26 PM

I fail to see how this could be a bear, surely their legs and arms are not this long? Also the fur does not look thick enough to be bear. if the Coelacanth could exist for millennia unknown until recently, why not another type of creature? The jury’s still out on this one.

• rod

11/16/2016 at 6:05 AM

” If that is a Bigfoot then how come no proof or evidence of one has been seen until now”
      ————————
      U have to start somewhere, right ?

2. Leah

08/31/2013 at 7:39 AM

There are bears in these mountains – I’ve even seen a young one that was hit by a car on Rt. 29. When I first saw the body, I thought it was a human, and had to check it out.

• Squatchzilla

09/03/2013 at 1:21 PM

Definitely NOT a bear…I have seen plenty of black bear up in West Milford area of New Jersey,as well as bear in P.A. This clearly is not a bear. All one needs to do is look good at the front appendage which is (first off) too long to be a bears, and secondly you can see the creature has a hand-NOT a paw. Check out the thumb. This is an intriguing photo. If it isn’t ‘photo shopped’ or anything, I’d have to say it’s a young ‘squatch. It also matches the countless descriptions of ‘squatch in that the legs are shorter, and arms hang to the knees. If this thing was standing, I’d bet money that it would look just like that!

3. Jacob Kromke

08/31/2013 at 7:40 AM

Very interesting, It could be a monkey or something like that. I mean if bigfoot exists then there is possible that monkeys in Virginia exists!
    Im not saying I dont believe im just saying, there could be an explanation for this just sayin.

4. Chico

08/31/2013 at 7:51 AM

Looks like a weather balloon to me. :-/

• Ray

04/11/2014 at 12:38 PM

No Way! This is obviously either Swamp Gas or a Weather Balloon. Sheesh!

5. lisa

08/31/2013 at 7:52 AM

No one ever catches the way the face looks.

6. Joan Bogorae

08/31/2013 at 8:43 AM

no way is that a bear….it has arms and its leg is bent and its fur is different….I say ape of some type…

7. xylinda morpheus

08/31/2013 at 8:50 AM

Marty, there’s a face on my profile pic on facebook, please take a look where it came from. And also, we’ve PLENTY evidence of bigfoot being seen. You can start with nabigfoot.com & bfro.net… actually since i’m not so much into photography & skilled at spotting photoshop fraud I find the audio evidence much more compelling. Then there’s the fact that the entire genome of bigfoot has been sequenced by one of my pals…

• Monsieur Science

09/02/2013 at 7:29 AM

The entire genome of Bigfoot has been sequenced? Methinks not, xylinda. A lot of bacteria have been, invertebrates yes, even a handful of mammals including primates, but… wait, let me check my files… nope, no Bigfoot. Sorry.

8. Trip

08/31/2013 at 8:52 AM

• Frederica Bimble

11/08/2013 at 1:54 PM

You nailed it. It IS a very thin bear. Looks just like it.

9. Mayu

08/31/2013 at 9:01 AM

Chimp. It could be as simple as someone owned a chimp as a pet, when it got big and unruly they released it and just didn’t report it missing… maybe they’re illegal to own in the area and when it went missing they were afraid to report it missing and admit they’re breaking the law… or it is a zoo escapee.

Or this was an intentional video.

Either way… it’s a chimp. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Noichi_zoo10_chimpanzee.jpg if you look at the body structure of the chimp in this link… you can see the similarities.

10. swsmtdg

08/31/2013 at 10:24 AM

Don’t trail cams work based on movement? If whatever it was wandered into frame, took the time to mess around with the tree trunk (looking for something?), and then wandered off again, why no more pics? Makes me suspicious of hoax.

11. Monsieur Science

09/02/2013 at 7:32 AM

That’s a black bear foraging for insects. Or a Bigfoot staggering home after a long night of eating fermented persimmons.

12. Phil Meahup

09/02/2013 at 11:20 AM

I’m backing Chico, looks like a weather balloon, or quite possibly swamp gas floating in the atmosphere.

13. Gregory

09/02/2013 at 7:32 PM

Bear. Legs are too short for hominid.

14. Conor

09/03/2013 at 9:48 AM

Wasn’t there a rash of sightings in Virginia of aggressive monkeys that have since been named “Devil Monkeys”. The first “official” Devil Monkey sighting occurred in 1959, while a couple by the name of Boyd were driving through the mountains near their home in Saltville, Virginia. According to their account, an ape-like beast attacked their car, leaving three scratch marks on the vehicle. It does seem to fit the descriptions of the vicious baboon like apes, but the colouring of it’s fur is slightly darker than the description. My guess is that it one of these so called “Devil Monkeys” and not a sasquatch.

15. Ni jitsu

09/03/2013 at 9:40 PM

That’s a mangy bear

16. Jim

09/04/2013 at 12:28 PM

It’s not a bear , It’s not a Sasquatch. It’s what’s known as a Japanese demon monkey. A few of them are known to have escaped during a satanic ritual that is reported to have been performed in the woods near Lake Drummond Virginia. They actually have no neck and the face is planted flat between the shoulders. It’s a very dangerous creature with a lust for fresh blood, but the entity will usually dissipate after 72 hours in our dimension.

• MERRYL BEVAN

11/13/2013 at 3:30 PM

oh please!!!!

17. Bill Mason

09/04/2013 at 6:14 PM

This is a photo of a wet black bear. Not a sasquatch , not a monkey , not a chimp. The paws look like they have “fingers” because they are wet, and the fur is hanging down because of the water added weight ! Sorry folks…just a bear.

18. royston westbury

09/16/2013 at 12:19 PM

looks like my sister, wondered where she went on that 3month trekking holiday

19. WerewolfRadar

10/08/2013 at 9:34 AM

This is very much a mangy little bear. Skinny, hungry and a little damp from the looks of things. Don’t worry though! this doesn’t mean that there’s no such thing as Bigfoot, just means that this isn’t one of them. Knowing what ISN’T a Bigfoot when you DON’T see it is half the battle 😉

20. ash

10/16/2013 at 2:37 PM

A bear would have much broader shoulders, plus a thick tuft of fur on them. The hand is something you can’t ignore, and even though bears sort of have fingers, they also have huge, obvious claws… The neck seems too short and not quite thick enough for a bear, while I can’t see any sort of ear popping up on the side of it’s heading, but it could just be the angle. I wouldn’t say sasquatch, because I’m Australian, this my friends is what we call the Yowie. I’m sure Bigfoot, Yowie, Yeti and whatever else alike all share the same genealogy, they are really alike in appearance.

21. Pingback: Anomaly Archives eNews – September 2013 | Anomaly Archives

22. Pingback: Anomaly Archives eNews – September 2013 « The Elfis Network

23. Rick

11/07/2013 at 9:53 PM

It is a skinny young bear, notice the small tail just where a bears tail is supposed to be….never heard of bigfoot, a hominid having a stubby tail.

24. James Breeden

01/04/2014 at 6:12 PM

Both this photo and the Jacob’s photo are of a bear.
    I have VHS video of a young bear that looks exactly like these two photo images. However, my video contains enough footage that you clearly see it is a bear, unlike these two images.
    I will also mention that I do believe that Bigfoot is a real creature.
    This is based on other evidence which I have researched which was presented by professionals- Dr. Meldrum and Jimmy Chilcutt are two of these people.
    I also believe that the Patterson Gimlin footage is of a real Bigfoot, but am highly suspicious of all modern day video or photo images due to technology advances in this field.

25. Bill

02/19/2014 at 9:02 AM

One thing is apparent. Commenters on this post are not reading (or engaging with) each other’s comments.

Anyway, it’s funny that these pictures only ever capture these creatures from behind in bear country.

26. Deede

06/25/2014 at 12:25 PM

It really can’t be a bear because bear do not have a knee in its hind legs. Look at that right rear leg, that is a knee joint. I would think an ape type creature would have an elbow in the front and knees in the back.

27. evilsloth4

02/16/2015 at 5:27 PM

No. It’s not me. Definitely not me. And no one can say that it’s an evil sloth so don’t even think it. I would never allow my picture to be taken, not because I have no soul to worry about being stolen, just camera shy. Not me. But it could be a fellow sloth or a wannabe.
    Not me:P

28. rod

11/16/2016 at 6:04 AM

It doesn’t appear to have the shape of a bear at all in my opinion.