Eerie "Apocalyptic Noises" Piercing the Air in British Columbia, Experts Blame Electromagnetic Radiation

BCskynoises

A creepy noise haunting the Canadian sky has locals whispering about UFOs and the end of the world, but one scientist thinks he knows the source of the awful screeches, and it’s just as weird.

At 7:30AM on Wednesday, residents of Terrace, British Columbia woke to a terrifying sound piercing the air over their small city, a horrible metallic noise that sent Kimberly Wookey scrambling for a way to collect evidence of the disturbance.

“This is the second time I have heard these sounds here in Terrace BC Canada,” she wrote on her YouTube page. “I shot out of bed like a bat out of hell realizing it was the same sounds I had heard before and I ran looking for a camera to try to capture them with.”

After calming her son, who claimed that the phenomena shook his windows, Kimberly managed to make a recording of the eerie sounds, which she promptly shared with the internet.

After it was over and I sat down at the computer to upload the video. Checking my Facebook I noticed a lot of locals had heard the same sounds again but this time it was far more widespread. I have no idea what these sounds are but it is pretty strange and I am glad that I was able to catch them this time and share what I heard.

Terrace-based local news channel CFTK-TV became aware of the bizarre event after reports began to flood in from area residents worried about the biblical apocalypse, alien spacecraft, and government weather machines, so they reached out to the University of Saskatchewan for answers. According to a professor of physics, the scary sky sounds aren’t the result of an impending invasion, but rather due to electromagnetic noise emitted from radiation belts and auroras. Whew.

Of course, that explanation hasn’t been adequate for everyone (“that’s just what they want us to think!”), although the most unexpected balking has come from skeptics who believe the entire event was simply a hoax perpetrated by Kimberly herself. After all, her last name bears a striking resemblance to a fictional creature known for belting out a similar noise..

So what do you think? Are the eerie mechanical groans the result of stray radiation? An extraterrestrial battle cry? Or just a Wookie through a loudspeaker? Let us know what you think! Share your thoughts with us on Facebook, tweet us @WhoForted, or leave a comment below!

1. Zeek

08/31/2013 at 6:50 AM

Freaky.

2. Michael

08/31/2013 at 8:01 AM

Worst marching band ever.

3. Coppertop

08/31/2013 at 11:17 AM

You’re back! Excellent! Glad to see you’re updating again!

It’s weird how the stories of “strange sounds” are increasing world-wide. While electromagnetic radiation is a nice catch-all explanation, is there a reason why the “sound” would… well, sound different in different areas? In some places it’s a moan, others a shriek, others a death metal growl. Thoughts?

• Coppertop

08/31/2013 at 11:20 AM

Also, that sound seems more industrial than anything. Is there a factory nearby? Maybe someone building a car?

• yeoman

09/05/2013 at 8:23 PM

NO. Linda Howe at Eartflies.com has been covering this for a while. it’s happening everywhere. It’s definitely a real thing. No one knows what it is. It’s not a factory, not tracking, not jets, not crashes, not HAARP. There are several coast to coast interviews with Linda Howe on youtube regarding this issue.

• Ang

03/06/2014 at 1:31 PM

Are you Donald Yeoman of NASA NEO program?

08/31/2013 at 10:14 PM

We’re sort of back, haha. We’ve been in the middle of a big move back to the US, so things are a little crazy right now. Should be sorted in a few weeks, then back to business as usual.. but better!

As for the electromagnetic noises, I have no idea. We did have a great piece on sky noises posted, but the gal who wrote it requested we pull it down. Her point was, essentially, that the bulk of these noises are either flat out hoaxes, or just misidentified noise pollution. I can get behind that theory for the most part. In cases like this though, I think it’s totally possible that some kind of weird radiation is making the sky groan.. that’s way more fun than a factory. Maybe the pitch depends on the amount of electromagnetic disturbance and other factors like the landscape.

Basically, I have no fucking clue.

• Frederica Bimble

11/08/2013 at 2:05 PM

It sounds exactly like the trains that run behind my flat on the outskirts of London. I’d bet anything that she has a railroad somewhere just outside the populated area and the sound is simply metal against metal of a slow moving train. That’s what it sounds like to me. Also, keep in mind that the aurora borealis emits a crackling, often metallic sound if you go way out into the country side to watch it. The less noise around, the better it can be heard. Ask those who live in the far Northern countries, they’re used to the noise. It would also be helpful to check to see if this recording falls under the time span that was recently reported that there would be an ‘increase in aurora borealis activity’ further south for the next winter. I saw a news article about it a while back but didn’t think anything of it because I live near London and wouldn’t be able to see it anyway because of the light pollution of the city.

• Jim

09/08/2013 at 6:53 PM

They sound different because they come from different sources. Yeesh.

4. Klaus

08/31/2013 at 4:45 PM

I live north of Terrace and I can confirm that the sounds recorded by Kimberley are real. I always sleep with earplugs and these weird noises woke me up (I had the windows open). And BTW, Wookey is her real family name. Do a search at Youtube for “strange sounds” and you will find recording of similar sounds from across the globe. I can understand your doubts thinking this is a hoax, but I heard it myself and now I know better. The sounds were heard over a distance spanning at least 20 km.

5. Tammy Evans

08/31/2013 at 8:59 PM

If it was what they say it was then why are they just now emitting such sounds because auroras and radiation belts aren’t anything new! Right?!

08/31/2013 at 10:07 PM

You’re totally right, but then again, the advent of camera phones has absolutely resulted in a quick, easy means to capture rare events on film. Who’s to say that this hasn’t been happening for a long time and was purely anecdotal until now?

• Frater Auxilior Arti

09/02/2013 at 6:44 PM

It’s odd isn’t it? I really think this is cyclical, follows the pattern of Solar Min/Max . . . but I can’t help but notice that in the weakest Solar Max on record, were still getting weird sky sounds, 100’s of orb reports etc. We’re past the peak of it now, I’m pretty sure and Peter Davenport says the ufo reports have fallen precipitously, which I predicted.

6. Fletcher Munson

09/03/2013 at 7:26 AM

The noise in the above video sounds familiar…

7. snappercat

09/03/2013 at 5:18 PM

It’s a motorgrader scraping on concrete. The county said it was them. It sounded like a very slow train pulling into a poorly maintained siding to me, I’ve heard enough of them. Especially if they are coasting without an engine.

• Boxcar wily

02/26/2014 at 10:40 PM

There are tons of trains in terrace. They run right through the city and around. I lived there myself and know people that live there still and their belief is that she hoaxed this video. She’s making a ton of money off of YouTube and other news and media sources. She has been given explanations for the noise. She can’t admit to the source or her funds run dry.

8. Pingback: OVNI Hoje! » “Trombetas do Apocalipse” no final de agosto

9. Pingback: Strange Sounds in Terrace BC Canada | The Nibiru Sunset

10. Skylaire Alfvegren

09/04/2013 at 10:06 PM

We’re all doomed. But in the meantime, will someone help me obtain a packet of those bitchin’ Rush stamps while they are still available? (I am not only the founder of the League of Western Fortean Intermediatists (L.O.W.F.I.), I am also the world’s biggest Rush fan and apparently low on Canadian friends (do you know Albert Venczel by chance?)And where in the States are going? (I’d stay in Canada if I had that option).

11. JBQ

09/05/2013 at 7:59 AM

Sounds like someone is moving a giant chair on linoleum.

12. Mark

09/05/2013 at 8:41 AM

I can say that I’ve heard the Northern Lights. I was stationed in Iceland and on really active nights, I could swear I could hear the Northern Lights popping and cracking. So, in my opinion, it is real.

13. Pingback: Anomaly Radio 9/4/13 « The Elfis Network

14. Pingback: Eerie “Apocalyptic Noises” Piercing the Air in British Columbia, Experts Blame Electromagnetic Radiation | paranormalheadlines.com

15. Pingback: Strange Sounds Heard In Terrance, Canada – Going Viral | Ascension Earth

16. Pingback: Anomaly Archives eNews – September 2013 | Anomaly Archives

17. Pingback: Anomaly Archives eNews – September 2013 « The Elfis Network

18. CoCo ufo

10/29/2013 at 9:56 AM

A 2 years ago like around the same time me and my brother heard that but it was really high pitched sound. canada b.c sunshine coast and it went on fot like 15 minutes

19. awesome

12/03/2013 at 8:20 PM

HOAX…. copied the sound from a movie onto the personal video.. NONSENSE

20. The Stuart Dentist

05/23/2015 at 6:03 AM

Has anyone considered that these sounds may be the result of U.S. military efforts being pursued in the Aleutians to control the weather??