Mail Bag: Reader Sends Ghostly Image from Maine Military Fort

Mail Bag: Reader Sends Ghostly Image from Maine Military Fort

Hayden L. sends us this image snapped on a family vacation in Maine. Here’s what he had to say about the shot:

“My family went to Maine for a week and visited old military forts.. my father took a picture of the forest and caught a photo of an apparition and he swears everyone was inside when he took the photo.. Nobody inside saw it and the camera is facing the forest from inside the fort.”

It’s definitely creepy, and there’s certainly someone.. or something.. standing in the doorway, but without more details, or a clearer photo, we’re left to take Hayden at his word. So what do you think? Did Hayden’s dad catch a glimpse of something otherworldly? Or did another vacationer unwittingly become a spectral curiosity?

Have a strange photograph of your own? Send it in along with your story, and we’ll post it! Shoot it over to editor(at)whofortedmag.com and we’ll feature it in our next Mail Bag.

1. Kwin The Eskimo

07/27/2012 at 12:37 PM

There is clearly a person in the photo (hell, you can see the calf muscles). But that is all this is, a person, nothing special or ghostly about it. I am affraid that his father was mistaken (if the story is being represented correctly). There is obviously an “unaccounted for” tourist on the tour. It might look kind of cool, but for the photographer (or the person who sent this in) to represent this as anything more is amatuerish.

• Nick

07/27/2012 at 2:01 PM

Also, they don’t say which fort. I live in Maine and I’d be interested where they took this picture.

2. R Emmet Lee

07/27/2012 at 6:11 PM

It’s hoax-ish. I don’t like to call people liars. This image doesn’t have to be the result of an intentional effort to deceive… But it would be easy to reproduce this image. I’ve done it myself by accident any number of times, and I’m sure others have done the same.

3. Hbloodbath

07/28/2012 at 10:12 AM

I will ask for more info on which fort it was he was taking a photo of the two children on the right but the photo exposed wrong because how dark it was inside and how bright it was in the forest. He says nobody saw the a person and the detail you can see in the legs seems like the person would be wearing very short shorts or nothing at all but it could also be somebody moved into the shot without anybody noticing at all.
    Thanks for everyone’s opinions!

4. Hbloodbath

07/29/2012 at 10:58 AM

It was at Fort Gorges

5. BobJohnson

07/30/2012 at 3:00 PM

Looks like they caught Dr. Sam Beckett in the middle of a leap.

6. monkeyhunter

07/31/2012 at 6:47 AM

So this is a ghost, rather than the obvious explanation as being a person, why? Nothing to see here folks, move along.

7. Jake

08/06/2012 at 5:34 AM

What exactly is making the green light.

• Hbloodbath

08/07/2012 at 9:50 AM

I believe it was the exposure from it being so dark in the fort and so bright outside in the forest

8. Mainer

08/17/2012 at 9:50 AM

Though our “ghost” wasn’t one at the time the photo was snapped, he was a moment later — this is obviously an image captured at the precise instant a nuclear device was being detonated.
    To identify the fort, look for a rather substantial crater.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login