New York Man Snaps Photo of "Uncloaked Flying Saucers"

New York Man Snaps Photo of “Uncloaked Flying Saucers”

This photo, taken by Joe Burkhart, appears to show two "uncloaked flying saucers" hovering above Rochester, NY

Three weeks ago, a man in Rochester, New York looked up at the sky and saw something he just had to snap a picture of. The resulting image, which captures what appear to be two large flying saucers, is very curious, to say the least.

Joe Burkhart, the photographer, says that the objects were attempting to conceal themselves in the haze of the clouds when he took the photo, a shot made difficult by the bright glare of the midday sun.

“Visually conditions were brutal, where it was actually painful gazing skywards with the sun creating a blinding haze,” Joe told me yesterday. “The two objects were both, in a sense, classic as saucers go, as well maybe being part of a much larger object which was of a triangular or diamond shape..”

Joe says the images of the anomalies were taken around noon, and they disappeared shortly thereafter.

Rochester has been making a name for itself as a new UFO hotspot in recent years, racking up a number of sightings as recently as April, when an incident which involved a translucent, triangular craft frightening some folks around a bonfire was reported.

Thanks to Joe Burkhart for for allowing us to share his photo and the story behind it.

So what do you think? Did Joe snap some an image of  some flying saucers? Is it some kind of experimental aircraft? Or did the Rochester Extreme Frisbee league just start using some disks a bit bigger than regulation? Share your thoughts on the photo in the comments!

UPDATE: After checking out the comments dissecting the image as a reflection of a ceiling tile through a pane of glass, Joe passed along the following photograph and asked me to share it.

1. Cullan

07/21/2012 at 9:09 AM

If I were to take a guess… It’s a pepper’s ghost thing: we’re seeing a reflection through a pane of glass. I note the lighter, trapezoid-shaped areas and think “ceiling tiles”, which makes me think darkened soffit lights are, in fact, the culprit. Or something similar.

2. Mike

07/21/2012 at 9:14 AM

Interesting photo. But I’m a skeptic about these things. I always wonder if there’s a more conventional explanation, like light playing tricks on the camera lens.

3. Mike McK.

07/21/2012 at 4:20 PM

First off, I hate to be the debunker here. I want to believe that we are not alone and being visited by extraterrestrials.
    But….
    What we are looking at here is what appears to be is a refection on a double pane glass window of recessed can light in a drop ceiling. It only appears to be 2 objects because of the double pane of glass. If you look closely you can even see the ceiling tiles. How do I know you may ask? I have been in construction for over 15 years now and have even seen this effect with my own eyes many times. You could even put a cloaked Hot Wheels or anything you wanted to in the sky with this effect.
    Sorry Guys.

• Joe Burkhart

07/22/2012 at 3:14 AM

hate to burst bubbles here but on Mr. Newkirk’s Facebook page I had shared the original photo which shows conclusively that nothing was photographed through glass. And thus no ceiling tiles at all.

In construction for over 15 years makes you an expert on UFO photos?

Now that does really make me question on Who Forted.

• KK

07/22/2012 at 11:51 AM

You took this photo outside in the parking lot of a Monroe Muffler right? I recognize the building.

These buildings are not L shaped. They are a plain rectangle.
        So unless he took the picture inside a vehicle or a glass cube it appears legit.

Take another pic from the same vantage point on a different day and post it here. Also post pics of the overall parking lot view.

Use a better digital camera. Not a low quality cell phone cam.

• Joe Burkhart

07/22/2012 at 2:51 PM

Hmm – guilty until proven innocent?
          Sorry but I don’t jump through hoops or inconvenience myself in order to prove anything by anyone else’s standard. Incredible how anyone might insist I go stand in front of a business to take photos in order to prove myself perhaps favorably but most likely not for those with skeptical analysis which are prone towards complete obedience in near denial of anything beyond their own peripheral scrutiny.

• KK

07/22/2012 at 4:03 PM

Oh well. Too bad.
            You could have “proved” yourself favorably I think.

But now it’s locked into being a photographic curiosity. Nothing more.

Case closed basically, as no more information is forthcoming.
            Thanks for the pic!

• Joe Burkhart

07/22/2012 at 5:50 PM

No. Not really.
            There are many things which may never be proven and perhaps never should be proven as it would then take the mystery out of what magick remains of this world.

• Mike McK.

07/23/2012 at 11:30 AM

I’m sorry if I offended you with my last comment Joe. I was just saying that I have witnessed a reflective event that looks like the first photo that was presented in the original article while on the job a few times and have took note of it.

I feel that there are no experts when it comes to the subject of U.F.O.’s, just students and witnesses to the phenomena, and some of of us, like myself, are lucky enough to be both.

I had my first sighting at 9yrs. old and have been fascinated by the subject ever since.

While kids in my age group were into books like Superfudge, I was reading and studying books on the U.F.O. phenomena and things involved with the subject and other strange things that people experience everyday, looking for the answer to what I saw. I have been involved in many investigations dealing with many of the subjects we see on Who Forted. So I like to think I know a thing or two.

If that doesn’t make me worthy enough to leave a comment on Who Forted, what does?

• Joe Burkhart

07/28/2012 at 1:25 AM

I thank you sir for your words.

Like you had I my own sighting in Rochester NY as a child which involved a daytime sighting over my neighborhood of a blinking object complete with a whirling sound.

Since then have I both encountered my own sightings while also having investigated and researched those of others who much like us both had only sought answers.

Ufology is a field which once experienced forever compels you into whatever depth of interactive exploration you may be willing to venture.

Now not everyone in the field is certifiable where some are quite fringe in their expressions. But it is a field which holds numerous distinctions by those willing to stand firm in their conviction while in pursuit in some greater unknown.

In closing I wish to thank Greg Newkirk for having included the addition image as per my request.

4. R Emmet Lee

07/22/2012 at 7:20 AM

Agreed, the image looks like a reflection.

An advanced civilization – alien or otherwise – could probably appear and disappear at will. We shouldn’t forget that aliens are possible, and if they can come here, their version of physics is radically beyond and different from our own.

We see only what we are permitted to see.

5. jason

08/10/2012 at 6:34 AM

yea, that photo will change the course of human history! i didnt even read the article because i am so mesmerized by that tell-tale photo.

6. Buzz

12/17/2013 at 9:19 AM

It looks like a reflection . Perhaps of a dome light or two through a mini van windshield ?

7. One Step Beyond

03/21/2014 at 5:47 PM

As leader of the group One Step Beyond, we pride ourselves on our extensive research and the use of the scientific method in this field. I have to humbly say that this photo has been examined relentlessly by our members and we still can not come up with a viable explanation for this remarkable piece of evidence.

8. Nobody

04/30/2014 at 4:09 AM

We believe that Burkhart’s pictures on his website are real also.

9. Awesome photo

06/11/2014 at 11:50 PM

I think that is an amazing capture on film. I saw a very similar thing in the sky a few years ago, in the middle of the afternoon, same shape, only white and it moved so quickly, I couldn’t believe it. It was solitary. As soon as I viewed it, it took off with such incredible speed, I had no time to reach for my camera. This siting was also in upstate, NY. Thank you for sharing a great photo ! I enjoy your website !

10. Max

06/12/2014 at 4:07 AM

So, let me get this straight. He makes a claim that this is a ufo.
    People make logical explainations of what it could really be and ask for more evidence to back up his claim and he refuses ?
    This has deception written all over it.
    You know what they say “When in doubt, throw it out”
    My sympathy for the reporter that wasted his time on this fraudster.

11. Cindi

12/30/2014 at 7:10 PM

I think he’s full if it too