Paranormal Investigators Find Ghost of Racist Dog. We're Not Kidding.

Paranormal Investigators Find Ghost of Racist Dog. We’re Not Kidding.

The legendary 617 Squadron with their unfortunately named canine mascot. His name, is uh.. well…

Scampton, England based ghost hunting team Paranormal Lincs believe they have been in contact with the spirit of a legendary labrador with an, uh, unfortunate name.

PL recently spent two evenings investigating the Royal Air Force base in Scampton after rumors that a ghostly hound was, ahem, dogging the base staff. The phantom pooch was even spotted in photographs taken at the base since the 80’s.

The canine in question belonged to Wing Commander Guy Gibson, and served as the mascot of the 617 squadron until he was hit by a car the day before the squadron’s famous “Dam Busting” raid on May 17, 1943.  The dog was buried on the grounds of the RAF base in Scampton, complete with a grave marker bearing the lab’s name, a name which has definitely not aged very well: “Nigger”.

Paul Drake, one of the 12 ghost hunters involved in the search, told This Is Linconshire that the team was “euphoric” over their discovery.

“I have done 63 investigations and it has been the most active one we have done with the equipment,” he said. “We were euphoric. It was one of the best investigations we have done. The rest of the team and I were buzzing for two or three days.”

The team were convinced of their find when they recorded what they called a “dog sized” cold spot on the wall of Gibson’s old office, as well as phantom growls in their EVP recordings and “strange” equipment readings.

The burial place of, um.. uh.. the dog named.. uhh.. err…

Oh, and let’s not forget the speech activated orbs.

“We took a lot of photos of orbs and a lot of them we could rule out because of dust. But when they appear when you ask them to, you start to ask questions.”

The team is convinced that they’ve located the ghost of Gibson as well, but to be sure, they’re planning an investigation to his favorite pub in hopes he may just show up. Judging by the name of Gibson’s dog, this ghost may actually be one of the few wearing a white sheet.

I have a feeling that our incoming search terms are about to go to a very bad place.

For more on the world’s most unfortunately named dog, and, oh Jesus, his master, check out his Wikipedia entry. For more on Paranormal Lincs, you can visit their official website.

1. Jason Gowin

01/03/2012 at 5:05 PM

I’m guessing it was a Black Lab……OH HO HO HO HO!

01/03/2012 at 5:09 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever deleted so many sentences over the course of writing an article. I would read something back and go “oh no.. oh no no, that does not sound right at ALL.”

2. Jason Gowin

01/03/2012 at 11:08 PM

hahahahha…so for a day it was like being Tim Holmes but with a conscience 🙂

3. Mike A

01/03/2012 at 11:52 PM

Translation “63 investigations and we still have nothing groundbreaking to show for it.”

Looser translation, “We got nothin”.

Another group getting excited over “strange readings” and vague interpretations.

4. Joanne Nikita

01/04/2012 at 10:46 AM

As soon as I read the dog’s name this cracked me up cause we call each other nigger/nigga all the time, and our guinea pigs (cocopop and waffle) alternate names were paki and nigga cause of their colouring. Not racist just funny as frick names for pets…well yeh a bit racist, my bad

5. Chasing Midnight

01/07/2012 at 3:31 AM

Check this out, from the movie The Dambusters. A tribute to the dog. I believe that now when the movie is shown on T.V, the name is censored. Warning contains the N-word. Keep in mind that this was 1940’s England and the word had a different connotation. Wing Commander Gibson was a true hero and he repeatedly risked his life to fight against tyranny and oppression. Anyway he was to busy bombing those sausage eating Krauts, and slanty eyed Japanese to be a racist.

6. Joanne Nikita

01/10/2012 at 4:27 PM

Laugh my white pommy ass off at Tony’s comment, but in all seriousness if it wasn’t for men like WCG we probably wouldn’t even be here now… On a lighter note, I forgot to say my old Lt Colonel had a black Labrador, and after I’d just left the Army I had to go back down to the barracks for a meeting with the Colonel and Brigadeer about a courts martial hearing I was a witness for, he also invited my son Kyle to see the tanks and helicopters (who was almost 7yrs old at the time)…I’ll never forget sitting outside his office and his black labrador sliding across the floor on its arse with it’s lipstick c#ck sticking up…never mind the name Nigger, try explaining THAT to a 6yr old!

7. Brian

07/04/2012 at 5:33 AM

Ugh. Orbs. The (bad) paranormals investigator’s bestest friend for the unfindable unexplained. Unless you see it (an orb) with your own eyes, it’s bunk. If it does not cast light, it’s bunk.

As for a ghost dog? Yes… they exist. I got goosed by one some time back at a humane society. I am one of those people animals usually like, and I have had my share of friendly dogs… umm… saying hello. This incident was just like any of the others, except- no dog. Anywhere. I looked all over the office area, asked, everything… and there was simply no dog anywhere in the general area- they were all out in cages 2-3 doors away. No one had come in with one. The nose was just as solid as a “real” dog- which is why I didn’t suddenly jump and yell “GHOST DOG!!!!” and figured I’d be patting a head…..

8. JamesNolan

11/29/2012 at 9:40 AM

My grandfather was part of the Dam Busters, and I am fed up with you people saying that the dog was named on a racist concept. It wasn’t.

It’s only the worthless ones that get their panties in a twist that don’t understand the word nigger actually has origins with “shiftless and lazy” not black and/or africans. It was made racist only out of ignorance… which is humanity.

9. butch

03/19/2013 at 6:39 AM

wow, here in kentucky the dog has a lot of fans, almost every piece of graffiti you see here is usually ended with the statement ………soand so is a nigger lover.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login