Spooky Video of Abandoned Mine Captures Ghost Voices on Camera, Other Creepy Activity

Video of Abandoned Horton Mine Captures What Might Be the Best Paranormal Evidence in Years

miners copy

YouTube is awash with blatantly fake videos of paranormal evidence as far as the eye can see, which is why when I stumbled across a set of videos entitled “The Horton Mine: Encountering a Ghost in a Haunted, Abandoned Mine” I let them sit in my bookmark folder for a week before actually sitting down to watch them. Boy, was I wrong.

The videos, which were shot over the course of a year, were filmed by the YouTube channel Exploring Abandoned Mines in CA, NV, and AZ. I should note that the camera man, known only as Frank, isn’t a ghost hunter, in fact, his channel has nothing to do with ghosts or the paranormal at all. He’s an urban explorer who sticks to poking around in underground tunnels and mines, documenting the past in the process.

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 1.55.42 PM

The tunnel in question is California’s Horton Mine, which was used in the late 70s as a transport tunnel to move ore from the nearby Victorine Mine. According to Frank, the mine has been abandoned for years, which is obviously one of the reasons it drew his attention in the first place.

chainswing

In the first video (below), which was shot in the summer of 2013, Frank makes his way down the tunnel, nearly making it to the end before something catches his attention. Hanging from the ceiling of the mine are countless chains, which at the time would have been used to help suspend the ventilation tubing. What’s strange is that only one of those 40 pound chains suddenly begins to swing, while the others remain untouched.

I won’t lie, if I was Frank I would have hit the bricks in an instant. There’s something about the consistency of the swaying that is so unbelievably off-putting. Watch the video and you be the judge:

If you thought that was creepy, just wait. The second video, which was shot one year later, is a hell of a lot more interesting. In this clip Frank finally makes it all the way to the back of the mine, and just as he begins to head back in the direction of the entrance, the mine shaft erupts with the strange sound of men talking. Obviously shocked, he panics and begins to make his way out of the mine, and just as quickly as it started, the strange sounds are gone. Skip ahead to 7:30 mark if you just want to hear the mysterious sounds.

There are a lot of theories floating around in the video comments section about what could have possibly made the sounds, from discarded walkie-talkies, to a radio signals, to the fringe “recorded stone” theory. One YouTuber believes he was able to make out what the strange voices are actually saying, and even stranger, he says the voices are speaking French. Here’s the translation:

“Why pass?

Are you prepared to die?

(expletive)

who are you?

you went too forward

near us

now go”

(french police siren)”

Whatever conclusion you come to, I think we can all agree that the videos are undeniably creepy and definitely worth a watch. For added effect, I highly recommend waiting until you’re the only one awake at 1am and giving them a listen…

What do you think? Did the unnamed camera man capture the voices of miners from the other side? Watch the videos and leave your thoughts in the comment section below!

Feature image via Redneck Revolt under Creative Commons License

1. Red Letter

05/17/2015 at 3:57 PM

I’ve seen swings on a playground do the same thing—one moves in the breeze and the other doesn’t. Still eerie regardless…that I agree.

But what we should probably be talking about is the clear fence and sign and how he went into the place when it was clearly meant to be blocked off. Trespassing is stupid.

05/17/2015 at 4:31 PM

That’s like hearing the kid who doesn’t smoke pot talk about how horrible it is.

Trespassing is awesome. All the cool kids are doing it.

• Coppertop

05/18/2015 at 6:07 AM

No, Greg! Trespassing is a gateway drug to other crimes, like loitering! Or being not having a permit! Just say no!

• Coppertop

05/19/2015 at 5:39 AM

“Being not having a permit?” That’s the last time I post before I have my morning coffee. Yeesh.

• Jim

05/24/2015 at 5:58 AM

I’ve heard that trespassing is legal in Colorado. I also know some people who do medical trespassing.

2. Terri

05/17/2015 at 9:02 PM

great find, that was fun to watch.

3. Coppertop

05/18/2015 at 6:09 AM

Nice find! Nice, terrifying, slightly pants-wetting find. Question, though: Has anyone else found this particular cave/tunnel/whatever and confirmed the spooky factor? If not, maybe a small team should take a trip out there and see what they can find.

If nothing else, it’ll make for an interesting found footage horror movie if things go ass-up.

• Dana Matthews

05/18/2015 at 1:59 PM

Great idea. From what I gathered it’s part of the Victorine Mine system in CA, so it should be pretty easy to find. Hmmm… maybe I’ll have to do some digging to see if I can find the current owner.

• Ken Summers

05/20/2015 at 5:57 AM

He got his information a little twisted. He mentioned both California and Nevada. It’s in Nevada, actually. (http://www.lat-long.com/Latitude-Longitude-862170-Nevada-Victorine_Mine.html)

Well, that’s settled, then. I’m going to grab my camping gear and prepare for an overnight by the portal. Who’s gonna go with me!?!?

4. Chato Arreguin

05/18/2015 at 10:25 PM

IDK??? It just seems a bit convenient for the chain to be set into motion once he turns around to film the opening. Cool video but my vote’s in for BOGUS. And, BTW, trespassing signs don’t mean much to me. I’d prefer to get permission first. But sometimes (most times) permission just is not given……..unless you have deep pockets and a network to back you up.

• Joe

02/19/2016 at 6:50 PM

If you look deeper into the channel, you’d see that making a fake video wouldn’t make much sense. They have tons of videos that are just them exploring abandoned shafts. No need to fake anything.

• Austin

02/25/2016 at 12:20 PM

I’m typically a skeptic first. I too initially thought that that chain could have easily been put into motion before he turned but I quickly realized that it would have definitely slowed quite a bit in the time he spent with his camera pointed that direction. Someone would have had to been somehow keeping it moving. Above is first thought but HIGHLY unlikely there happened to be a place someone could fit above that chain. To a lesser degree I thought maybe someone could be farther down past where the camera or it’s light could see and was somehow pulling on the cable that the chain was attached to to keep it in motion but that wouldn’t be easy and simply did not seem to be the case.

That chain just continued swaying back and forth way too long for it to have been started and left alone the emirate time the camera was on it.

5. There's bacon in my pants

05/29/2015 at 6:26 AM

I don’t know about that 2nd video, it would be pretty easy to put a recorder on the other side of the cave. If not, I would be curious if there are any working mines in the area. Sounds travels pretty far underground.

• Austin

02/25/2016 at 11:00 AM

To the contrary. I’m an avid caver here in the midwest (particularly Missouri). Not for fun but conservation, surveying, gating, data gathering etc… Sound does not travel well at all under ground. You can be 30 feet around a corner from a guy or even group and they are very muffled or you simply any hear them at all.

Very much surprised me wen I first experienced this. I could have sworn my group had moved on or that I had moved farther ahead than I thought by the sound but they are always right there.

Also, this mist forming that he mentions a couple times in these videos is simply the moisture from his breath or hot sweating body. Very high humidity in caves with often times little air movement. It’s particularly difficult to take a picture in a cave because of this. You often have to get ready then take a step forward out of your mist to shoot. As soon as you stop it flows off of and in front of you.

6. Winchesters Maybe

06/19/2015 at 2:12 PM

This would be the perfect website for finding cases all i need now is a black 67 impala, an angel boyfriend , and a demon blood infected brother

7. 2spooky4u

08/10/2015 at 10:40 PM

Well it’s 1:38 am, I discovered this site today, and now I hate/love it because I’m scared but fascinated.

8. Patricia

08/23/2015 at 10:34 AM

A couple of things make this interesting to me. First the guy explores caves for fun not looking for the paranormal. So he has seen plenty of caves and mine shafts and for some reason this one feels off to him. He felt creeped out first and then saw the moving chain which was moving way too consistently for a breeze. Not to mention a breeze strong enough to put a heavy chain in motion for that long shunted through a tunnel full of chains would have had to moved far more chains.

The voices at the end of the second one definitely sounded like they came from a radio. The only possibility I can think of is there was someone at the top of that ore dump who had a radio and played something right then. But why French and why a siren? Makes no sense at all.

As a follow up it would be interesting to know if anyone who spoke French ever worked that mine and if any emergency vehicles ever came up there. Although that does sound like a European siren not an American one. Very weird!

9. Bass

10/03/2015 at 8:12 PM

Stumbled onto the google+ account of a lady who used to work at the mine, she attributes it to Tommyknockers. Seems that would makes sense for the chain, maybe. Not so much for the garbled audio, which wouldn’t be too hard to fake… especially if the first video got him a lot of attention. Not saying he did, but I can see a reasonable motive.

10. Brian

10/14/2015 at 7:42 PM

There are two voices there – one a woman and the second a man. They slightly over speak one another. And that is a French siren. And it does sound like French language.

It could be faked but I don’t think so. The noises are in the recording and part of his actual videotaping. Not something added later.

Ask yourself why a guy would go way back there 400 feet slogging through mineral mud and water and then throw a handheld tape recorder down to the end and expect it to play without a glitch while videotaping and acting out a drama.

And French? If he were faking this it would be more predictable and easily understood.

And mobile communication devices would not have functional batteries if left down there for long, nor would an electrical device since there is no power in the mine.

If they’d were an old radio down there sure it could pick up something but not French unless it was short wave police radio from Paris, and you couldn’t what you would get or when to time this just right. You would also need a short wave radio but would need to overcome the power issues and lack of radio signal underground.

I’ve recorded EVP’s at a castle on the Rhine. The voices didn’t speak German. They spoke Latin.

This guy can’t explain it and you can tell he is genuinely panicked and out of breath as he moves toward the portal.

11. Stacey E.

02/18/2016 at 2:48 AM

Okay, first of all, just because his aim wasn’t for “evidence” of the paranormal doesn’t mean he can’t be fooled into believing that’s what he found. People are gullible even if they don’t go out looking for that kind of thing. The radio noise is French? Why, because someone decided it was, and now everyone else knows that for certain? It’s the noise heard through a radio or walkie-talkie. It isn’t scary. The only scary part is thinking that a potentially dangerous person is also in the area, and they are looking to freak out a guy like this by pulling a stunt like that. The same “ghostly” noises that you hear on those TAPS shows can probably be explained (usually) by someone screwing with them.
    for God’s sake–“portal”? It’s the entrance to the mine. It isn’t a “portal”. And I love how it’s decided that only one of the chains is moving. Several of the chains are moving, only one is moving the most obviously. Which, as someone else pointed out, could have been started by someone else (or even him) while the camera was facing the other way.

• Anthracks

02/19/2016 at 11:09 AM

Stacey this site is all about fun and imagination. I think you are taking things a mite seriously.

• Joe

02/19/2016 at 7:01 PM

Portal – The structure surrounding the immediate entrance to a mine; the mouth of an adit or tunnel. Do I really have to link you to a mining terminology webpage? I know it may help you sleep at night, but you can’t just think everything is fake. Not only can you not get proof, but why would you even want to try. We have no proof the supernatural exists or doesn’t exist. We really never can. It’s all too easy to say things aren’t real. And FYI, considering these two videos are a year apart, I don’t think it’s logical to assume pranksters. Especially since this channel has posted tons of videos without the slightest controversial issue. It doesn’t make any sense for it to be fake. Explainable things happen every day. We as humans aren’t in control. We don’t know what is, but it sure is hell isn’t us.

• Anthracks

02/20/2016 at 2:06 PM

In Stacey’s defense she makes some legitimate points and the video does seem pretty questionable. My point was that she needn’t be so aggressive as many of us already know these things are iffy but find them entertaining. It’s easy to say things aren’t real when they make outlandish claims with no evidence.

12. jakethesnake

02/25/2016 at 5:27 PM

Stacey makes some very good and logical points,we do not know how the chai started swinging,this man filming could have swung that chain before he started filming.The other chains closer to him would also seem to back this up as he could have knocked them rushing back to th point hes at before he starts to film.The chain also appears to lose momentum slightly as he continues filming.As for the second video agai this man frank could have asily faked this by leaving some sort of recording or radio device in the back of the cave before leaving,he could have even had a partner who started the whole thing.For both videos we have to take this mans word for it thats all we have

13. Justin

04/20/2016 at 10:54 PM

I am alone and awake at 1:53 am and I’m so creeped out. It is compelling that he isn’t a ghost hunter but just a cave guy. Seems like a lot of work to create a fake video.

14. Kayleigh Hellton.

05/21/2016 at 1:19 AM

I can see that all of this experience comes to serious mind, i am very religious the it comes to “GHOSTS” but i have never experienced a paranormal experience… I love how a lot of you use this site for fun and imagination! I have been studying the consequences of paranormal experience and i have also been studying possession. It leaves me no choice but to research a few places that MOST paranormal experience has happened. This one in particular has come to me as the WORST paranormal experience i have EVER heard of in my life time. At the moment I’m living in England, i have been saving for flights to here and there so i can explore these places because thats what i love to do, i don’t suppose any of you watchers have a few abandoned places in England i may go and visit? if not i shall continue with my research. I would LOVE to hear about your paranormal experiences!
    , your sincerely Kayleigh ;P

15. Renee

06/24/2016 at 7:49 PM

Ok I’m three years late hahah but I live in Quebec and this does not sound like French to me at all, I can’t make out anything but it sounds a lot more like an English tone to me x)

16. AgentR

12/04/2016 at 5:58 PM

I too have been fascinated by this video/audio and I’m pretty convinced the guy didn’t fake this, it’s likely real. I thought at first that it could have been some sort of motion/sound activated audio-alert left behind by whoever the land-owners are to keep curious people away from the mine? Dunno…just a thought, but seems unlikely given the French overtone. My second ‘tin-foil hat concept’ is that the Horton mine taps into an existing mine/cave system which is being utilized by the secret/illuminati/cabal/black government to ferry aliens from one underground facility to another, and perhaps these mines are being used for venting of the mach-maglev-tubes? Or not…