Roswell Kodachrome Slides Finally Revealed: See the Alien on Display

Roswell’s Alien Kodachrome Slides Finally Revealed: Much Ado About a Sideshow Mummy Photo?

1976918_920951607949985_2893551284191785522_n

Last night the world (at least the ones who paid $20) finally saw the reveal of a couple old Kodak slides that for for over a year had been teased as a world-changing event. After nearly three hours of exposition and interviews during the beWITNESS live event, we were finally presented with two old slides that showed… a sideshow mummy. It was a bummer.

kodachromealienslide

Referred to for the last year as the “Roswell Slides”, many UFO enthusiasts spent the last several months nervously awaiting their much-hyped reveal, hopeful that they might shed a light on the government coverup at Roswell, others fearful that the whole event would bring further criticism of the field, particularly after the whole debacle with Steven Greer’s Sirius documentary a few years back. Unfortunately, it appears that their fears weren’t without reason.

According to the people behind the upcoming Kodachrome documentary, the slides were allegedly snapped by Bernerd A. Ray, an oil exploration geologist who worked in the deserts near Roswell back in the 40s. Eventually, as these stories tend to go, the slides were discovered hidden away in an envelope stuffed in an attic before being stumbled onto by a lucky researcher.

a high resolution photo of the roswell slides alien

Via Coast to Coast AM

When the Kodachrome slides were finally revealed last night to a backdrop of royalty-free X-Files theme knockoffs, the disappointment was palpable. The audience was free of gasps, the government didn’t shut down the feed, and the group I was watching the livestream with, comprised of veteran paranormal investigators like John E.L. Tenney, Week In Weird‘s own Dana Matthews, and SHOCK’s Jeff Waldridge, couldn’t stop laughing about how much the alien looked like the smoking guy from the Beetlejuice waiting room scene.

beetlejuice

“What is depicted is really there, accurately reflected in the emulsion as an actual moment in time in 1947,” said researcher Anthony Baraglia. “Science has weighed in and has determined that these are real slides that are really from 1947. The Only Conclusion: This humanoid is not a deformed person, mummy, dummy, simian or dead serviceman…. It is not a creature that finds its origin on Earth.”

Others, mainly those who had paid $20 to livestream the event, weren’t nearly as positive.  Nick Redfern, noted investigator of UFO phenomena, was able to sum his response up in just a couple sentences:

“Roswell Slides? Now we have the high res image, the answer is: No! Mummified child. Also, check out the hairy head behind the main head. It too has a small white placard by it. Clearly this is some sort of museum setting, or freak show. Interesting, but it has zero relevance to Roswell.”

Redfern’s impressions, particularly that we were looking at the desiccated corpse of a child, were echoed loudly through the field of ufology this morning, with a few researchers even believing that they’ve found the child mummy in question.

The alien mummy? Exhibited in Philadelphia's Wistar Museum (Courtesy Isaac Koi)

The alien mummy? Exhibited in Philadelphia’s Wistar Museum (Courtesy Isaac Koi)

According to José Antonio Caravaca of Blue Blurry Lines, researchers Gilles Fernandez and Curt Collins have found evidence that they believe points to the “alien” being a mummy discovered in the city of Thebes, Egypt in 1856, but transferred to a Philadelphia museum in 1860.  They hypothesize that a closer look at the “Kodachrome Alien” can be had at the Smithsonian in Washington, DC, where they believe mummy currently sits.

dancingbabyroswellalien

But despite the lack of a body, the fact that it’s shown displayed on a case reminiscent of a museum, its remarkable likeness to a mummy discovered in Egypt, or the way the event organizers felt the need to animate the mummy into an Ally Mcbeal-esque dancing CGI baby, the most telling piece of the Roswell Slides event was the face of famed UFO researcher Richard Dolan during his closing talks.

As Dolan stood at the podium, it wasn’t hard to see him visibly wince as he struggled to say the words “remarkable event”, sighing heavily as he slogged through a speech he had seemingly written before he was shown the slides. I sincerely felt bad for him. Never has dropping the microphone after a speech been more uncomfortable.

dolanwonders

The question is, what do we do, as researchers and lovers of the anomalous, now that the so-called Roswell slides have been released to the world? We do exactly what Dolan did on stage – we move right along to the next fascinating mystery, reminding the world that no matter how many “Georgia Bigfoots“, “Amityville Horrors”, or “Roswell Slides” set out to distract the world from actual research into the unexplained, our jobs aren’t done. Who knows how many genuine mysteries are waiting for us to discover them in a dusty old attic?

Now, forget about the Roswell Slides and get back to work.

1. Red Pill Junkie

05/06/2015 at 10:03 AM

Allow me to play devil’s advocate here, Greg, to point a few things:

It seems Richard traveled to Mexico city several days in advance prior to last night’s event. People who follow him on Facebook told me he had a lot of time to talk to Maussan, Schmitt, Corey et al, and he was shown the slides, which he felt were genuinely interesting. So, the big reveal on stage was not the first time he laid eyes on them –who knows when he wrote the speech he gave, or whether he altered it after he saw them.

The look on his face can be attributed to many things. You say he was embarrassed. I say maybe he was just TIRED. The thing lasted 5 goddamn hours, vato! My own ass was begging for disclosure by the end of it. Dolan and the speakers were all seating in sofas and armchairs on a corner of the stage, but I’m sure that by the end of it they were all relieved they could stretch their legs or go out for a smoke.

Plus, the thing ended past midnight.

Is it just a mummified child? The forensic testimony Zalce, Doble and Galindo did give me a bit of pause, though I did feel they were extrapolating waaay too many assumptions based on just one single, grainy picture. Like I tweeted last night, at worst the slides will either follow the path of the Santilli autopsy video at worst, OR follow in the footsteps of the Patterson-Gimlin film. Either one does not bring us any closer to the truth.

Saludos,

RPJ

PS: I do have to agree with you on the Cha Cha baby part, though. to me that was the very worst part of it, and for a moment I was hoping Tupac would holographically appear to beat the crap out of it 😛

05/06/2015 at 10:14 AM

All fair points, buddy. I should amend my “clearly” to “seemingly” in reference to Dolan’s speech. I did think that it was telling that 3/4 of his speech was dedicated to general disclosure, moving very quickly past the slides. Sure, maybe he figured everything about the slides had already been said, but maybe he was also a little hesitant to lend too much credibility to something that seemed overwhelmingly, well, underwhelming. After all, if I’m correct, there were a lot of leading experts who wanted nothing to do with this whole thing, right?

It just seemed a whole lot of exposition for nothing. But that’s the way these things go.

• Red Pill Junkie

05/06/2015 at 10:48 AM

I’m still of two minds about my feelings re. his decisions to accept Maussan’s invitation. On the one hand Richard is not a Roswell expert, nor has he ever claimed to be one, and it was clear from the beginning Maussan wanted to use him and his reputation as a promoting tool.

I think Richard made it clear to Maussan from the beginning his remarks on the slides were going to be very brief, and his bulk of his participation would be devoted to his ideas about Disclosure.

I should point out though that last night I didn’t attend alone. I asked one of my cousins who’s always been interested in UFOs to join me, because a)I didn’t want to go alone; and b) I wanted him as a ‘control’ in order to have an unfiltered opinion from a smart person, interested in the topic, but who wouldn’t be as immersed in all the ‘inside baseball drama’ surrounding the slides as I already was. The reason I bring this up is because my cousin found Dolan’s words to be very interesting, and he (my cousin) was also hopeful the slides would have the ‘ripple effect’ Richard alluded to. so there’s that…

But yeah, the fact that Friedman and Randle were not part of this thing was very telling. Almost as telling as the fact BOTH of their names were NEVER mentioned during the whole of it 😉

05/06/2015 at 11:09 AM

Hahaha, holy crap, I didn’t realize you were actually THERE! Good lord, I’m sorry. At least I was able to watch it in my underwear, eat ice cream, and take pee breaks. That sucker was LONG.

• Red Pill Junkie

05/06/2015 at 11:40 AM

Yes. Yes it was >___<

I'm not even sure Maussan opened up the streaming to Mexican addresses. He expressly said his intention was to fill the auditorium. I suppose one can't blame him, though maybe they should have offered ticket buyers the chance to subsequently view the video for free on their webpage or something :-/

05/06/2015 at 11:50 AM

I’ll admit that I forgot what I was doing more than a few times and tried to fast forward the livestream. It didn’t work.

2. NotSmokingGun

05/06/2015 at 12:33 PM

I was hoping for the best but this isn’t even close. This is a display piece likely in a museum that as you can see has hardwood planked floors. Good for Nick Redfern to note the furry object behind the mummy that is clearly ON the glass display table and not only is there a placard by it but the placard is clearly attached to the table as would be consistent in a museum setting.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the rope fibers on display behind the body with a very small attached placard behind that as well likely describing what it was and how it was used in the mummification process.

Really? The military hauled off an ET, did an immediate cover-up about it’s existence and then made a museum like display for it complete with placards describing details about it so people could casually view it? This is as emperor’s new clothes as it gets!!

• salvatore michael cimmino

05/06/2015 at 7:06 PM

I THINK THAT JAIMEMAUSSAN HAS NOT DONE SEE THE IMAGES in high-resolution because he knew that they would have dimantle everything, you would see the fibers, the head of the werewolf or the monkey, and even the type of museum-display-case, I also think that even if Dolan is not an expert in the case would have to lend him the photos and look carefully, so he would understand and would not have lost face and credibility!

3. Pingback: 13.17 – MU Podcast | Mysterious Universe

4. Catalina Feloneous

05/08/2015 at 8:32 AM

What are the odds that an alien race, aside from the head, would have the same number of fingers, ribs, pelvic bone, etc? I guess this is what you get when you think there was something at Roswell – you get holiday pics from a museum.