Ohio's Silver Creek Dogmen: Investigating a Frightening Encounter With Midwestern Werewolves

Ohio’s Silver Creek Dogmen: Investigating a Frightening Encounter With Midwestern Werewolves

SilverCreek_Wolfmen

“I don’t care of you believe me or not” was the serious, straightforward introduction I was given to a possible wolfman sighting in the autumn of 2013. It was at this point that my long-time friend Andrew* told me of not just one encounter, but two separate encounters with more than one strange, bipedal creatures out hunting game near Norton, Ohio.

A heavily-wooded section of Chippewa Loop Trail in Silver Creek Metro Park.

A heavily-wooded section of Chippewa Loop Trail in Silver Creek Metro Park.

Andrew normally works night shifts, which means traveling quiet, darkened roads is an everyday occurrence for him. One cold autumn night in particular, while traveling down Johnson Road bordering Silver Creek Metro Park, what he saw was anything but routine. Approximately 50 yards from the intersection with Medina Line Road, he stopped his car when two deer raced across the road heading south. But what caught his attention was what they were running from.

“I would place them somewhere between 6’6” and 7′ tall. They chased the two deer (which were both smaller, by the way) out across the street and into the woods. They ran [in formation]… one in front, two behind, kind of next to each other. They were roughly 30-40 yards behind the deer. They were bipedal, very muscular, and fast. Lightning fast. It all happened in just a few seconds. I couldn’t describe any features, unfortunately; I’m assuming it was either a new moon or cloudy because it was very dark, but they were definitely a dark color… maybe a chocolate-brown or a black color.”

I pressed him for any more detail. After all, there have been Bigfoot sightings in Ohio. “They say that Bigfoot has long arms that swing when it runs, and it runs like a human. Whatever these were, they weren’t Bigfoot. I can’t describe how they moved, but they didn’t move like a person.”

Less than a month later, Andrew was heading home on Johnson Road. As he passed a moonlit cornfield, something ran in front of his car.

“The fields had full-grown cornstalks, but I don’t know exact heights only that the cornstalks were taller than me by a head and I’m 6 feet tall. This time, [my sighting of two creatures] was a quick flash because there was no open land to it. They basically leapt the road as they broke the corn and landed about 10-15 feet into the field on the other side and kept running. This time, the pair that I saw in the moonlight, the first was black and the second was black with white or silver on its chest and back…. Since the first three I saw were all a solid color, that means there must be at least four different creatures.”

The exact locations of the two 2013 sightings (orange dots) plotted on a map.

The exact locations of the two 2013 sightings (orange dots) plotted on a map.

On October 11, 2014, I set out with Andrew and his wife to see what we could find in the way of evidence that whatever he saw might still be around. The location of the first sighting is bordered to the south by Silver Creek Metro Park. On the other side of the road, there are three or four houses with a large field behind them. As Andrew pointed out, the creatures passed through the field and past the houses on the night he saw them, meaning these creatures must not have much fear of being near human habitation. The second sighting was on a slight hill between two large fields in a rather remote area. Not only were both places quite close to each other, they are both in close proximity to Silver Creek.

The quiet, unassuming Silver Creek in Autumn. (Seeing Anewhttp://seeinganew.blogspot.com / CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)

The quiet, unassuming Silver Creek in Autumn. (Seeing Anew / CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)

We had planned an investigation of Silver Creek Metro Park, arriving at dusk, but the reservoir lake and surrounding park was alive with bonfires and hundreds of people celebrating the second annual Fall Family Outing making any chance of searching for wolfman-like creatures too difficult. A follow-up trip is still slated for (hopefully) this winter.

Other witnesses may exist, but their reluctance to go public is understandable. If you saw large dark creatures running on two feet, you too might think people would call you crazy. But there is an earlier account worth mentioning here which may give more credence to these sightings. In Linda Godfrey‘s book Real Wolfmen, there’s a 2010 story titled “The Persistent Chicken Thief” (p. 262-7) about a family put in contact with Godfrey after several incidents on their farm. Their son Drew was one witness to a large, dark creature over six feet tall lurking in the treeline in March:

The lone rooster began to squawk and the creature let out a fierce growl, then all went silent. Drew heard what sounded like something jumping back over the fence, and the rooster squealed as if in pain. At that point, Drew grabbed a gun and flashlight and ran outside, searching the fence from the front porch with his light. He saw the rooster but it appeared to have something dark over its middle. It slowly dawned on Drew that the “something dark” was the muzzle of a creature with two glaring eyes.

“Whatever it was,” he said, “it seemed to look through me. It turned my blood cold and I was paralyzed with fear. I’m a hunter… I’m used to being in the wilderness and encountering bigger animals. Those animals don’t scare me like this thing did… When I encountered this thing the first time, I got the feeling that it wanted to hurt me. After researching something I’ve never believed in, I’m convinced that this thing is a dogman.”

Loud howls and the sound of something walking on two legs in the gravel driveway plagued the family for many months. The family kept a detailed diary of their strange events, but unfortunately Godfrey has since lost contact with them. While the exact location of the farm is not known, it is in the vicinity of Norton, Ohio.

In May 2010, Kristen Miller of Wadsworth reported seeing “a large cat with a long tail” resembling a mountain lion at dusk in Silver Creek Metro Park and reported it to park officials. There have also been reports of black bears in the area, though neither of these creatures can run on two feet, nor do they come close to being ix to seven feet tall.

Silver Creek is a tributary for the aptly named Wolf Creek. Long ago, Timber Wolves were common across Ohio, though as farming developed among early settlers, these furry canines became less of an accepted part of the wilderness and more of a nuisance as the animals hunted and killed many sheep. Thousands of Ohio wolves were hunted, trapped, and poisoned in an effort to eradicate them from the area. 1842 marked the final killing of a wolf in Ohio and the end of the wolf’s presence here. While wolves have been driven from Ohio, perhaps something far more frightening has replaced them.

The mystery of the Silver Creek Wolfmen is far from solved. At this time, I consider my investigation ongoing. Anyone who has witnessed anything similar or discovered any possible evidence of these creatures can contact me directly at [email protected] or tell their story in the comments below.

* Due to the bizarre nature of incidents, the witness wishes that his real name not be disclosed.

1. JillV

12/12/2014 at 3:53 PM

Just read your bio Ken :

“Ken finds himself lost somewhere between “too smart to believe everything” and optimistic curiosity mixed with wishful thinking.”

and

Secretly, he wants to marry a werewolf and build a fully-functioning TARDIS.

I don’t know about the Tardis but I’d definitely go werewolf.

😀

about the werewolf story wasn’t there right before this a number of big cat sightings or animal mutilations somewhere around this state or another one nearby, I think I read that somewhere maybe back in September or October.

• Ken Summers

12/13/2014 at 3:11 AM

I do have a penchant for time travel… and muscular, aggressive beasts, I guess. lol

There’ve been big cat sightings around Akron and northeast Ohio for many years now. A fellow author friend of mine witnessed what was apparently a mountain lion in Cuyahoga Valley National Park several years ago as well. I haven’t heard anything about animal mutilations, though. I know for a fact that black bears are moving back in. Last year, one was sighted about 500 yards away from where I was working in Akron! And, of course, I’ve heard several reliable reports of large, bipedal, hairy creatures all around the region. This story, though, was definitely different. Whatever he saw, it was fast, very muscular, and ran on two legs.

• PaigeAlyson

03/04/2015 at 1:42 PM

There has also been reports of cat sightings in and around Pineville, KY, supposedly black panthers. Locals talk all the time about hearing strange cries from the panthers in the night, and that it sounds like an old woman sobbing.

• Killer

03/20/2015 at 4:17 PM

Maybe it is the werewolf like the Kentucky werewolf i have be hearing about it is carnivore that maybe in movies they attack people of they had chance they might the person

• Killer

03/20/2015 at 4:18 PM

I have heard of a Loch Ness monster and werewovles

• butch winn

10/06/2015 at 2:15 AM

Hey Paige, I am a harlan county native

• Andrew

05/22/2015 at 4:22 AM

Those bipedal hairy muscular creatures would more than likely be bigfoots…as there have been reports of them in the Cuyahoga valley national park listed on the BFRO’s website. The black bear you speak of was reported in Bath township. It wad even recorded on the police’s dash cam as the cop responded to the call of the black bear. That same black bear is believed to be the same one that was reported in Montville township in medina county. If a large cat like mountain lion lived in the area, it’s very well possible. There is a lot of land and territory that it could survive in under the radar. Mountain lions are extremely reclusive, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t or wouldn’t be in an area that’s deems uninhabited by them.

• Ken Summers

05/23/2015 at 3:41 PM

I live extremely close to the Cuyahoga Valley and have most of my life, so I’ve heard plenty of Grassman tales from it (even ones you won’t find on BFRO’s database reported by police officers). There’ve been a handful of black bear sightings, one even north of downtown Akron (different from the Bath sighting). And I know of at least one friend who has seen what could be a mountain lion in the valley too. After nearly 2 decades spent exploring and researching the valley, I can definitely say that it’s packed full of weird.

2. Renee A.

12/29/2014 at 8:10 PM

I lived in rural southwestern Pennsylvania from 1989 to 2009. A neighbor and friend of mine from that time told me he once saw something while he was deer hunting as a young man back in the 1970s that he could never understand. He said he was in a tree stand about 15 feet off the ground and was hunting in the woods of Greene County PA. He heard something rustling in the underbrush and then saw a wolfman like creature standing on its hind legs in a clearing. He said it paused and sniffed the air and then ran off at a rate of speed faster than an average man could run. He waited a while and then cautiously left his tree stand and went home. After that, he gave up hunting and only went fishing if he could find several friends to fish with him.

3. TM

01/17/2015 at 10:29 AM

I just returned from my regular dog walk around Silvercreek Park and after noticing a badly scarred tree with deep claw marks I decided to google black bears and Silvercreek to see what came up. Hey presto – I find this site! Today is Saturday, January 17th 2015. If you want to check it out, park in the Pheasant Run car park but head to the Chippewa Trail – the 2-mile trail. Head west (ie turn right at trail) and walk for around 300 yards or so. There is a slim tree on the right side of the trail with some deep claw marks that go way up the tree. I presumed it was a bear but didn’t see and tracks in the snow. Check it out!

4. Pingback: The Spirit of the Wolf | Monsters and Magic

5. Killer

03/20/2015 at 4:20 PM

This is real i will hunt it down like a hellhound that a girl told that i use to like her

6. Killer

03/20/2015 at 4:23 PM

This,kinda of bullshit my blood goes cold that sound like it is frozen damn the word frozen remind of the movie frozen is fucking really fucking stupid and second frozen is probably going to fucked up like the first one

7. Killer

03/21/2015 at 4:40 PM

Wtf is this a werewolf or an adbcution by aliens doing a mutation on the person

8. Killer

03/21/2015 at 4:56 PM

Wtf is this a werewolf or an adbcution by aliens doing a mutation on the person
    But it is a bipedal wolf that is fucking dangerous but it weakness is silver

• gary schofield

05/25/2015 at 1:45 PM

Killer,are you on something? I can’t understand WHAT you are talking about.

9. Jaguaress

05/18/2015 at 6:58 PM

I believe the person. What I find interesting is that in the second picture shown, on the right hand side in-between the double pair of thin trees, it looks like a German Shepherd with its ears sticking up. It could be wishful thinking, but it sure looks like it to me when I view the image as Large in paint. Keep the stories coming!

10. mike collins

05/20/2015 at 1:44 PM

I seen a similar thing driving through the park just on the way to work in the early morning ,just past the pheasant run parking lot. It was close to 8 foot tall Brown in color

11. haley

05/21/2015 at 4:19 PM

I drive Johnson Rd just about every night on my way to work and walk in Silver Creek Metro Park quite often and have never seen “dogmen”. Not saying they don’t exist but I’m pretty sure living right in the area this happened I’m sure I would have seen or heard something.

12. Rich Steele

05/21/2015 at 5:47 PM

I grew up within 100 yrds from the park. Lived in the area nearly 50 years. My friends and I camped back there long before it was a park. I know every inch of that place and the history. Always new it was haunted. Even have some stories on it.

• Dave

11/08/2015 at 10:11 PM

Rich, could you share some the stories… would love to hear them.

13. Nikki

05/21/2015 at 8:45 PM

i live about 4 miles from silver creek, near Jones chemical. The woods behind my house (PPG property) has something in them…not sure what but you don’t go in the woods at night…ever!! Taking my dog out after dark, you can feel something watching you so this story doesn’t surprise me at all!

14. Nate

05/22/2015 at 6:09 AM

Total BS. Two siggtings by the same person don’t make this creature legit.

I live about a mile from the area and have NEVER heard of any such lore. The surrounding area doesn’t have enough forrest to have massive creatures in hiding without being seen many times.

I’m at silver creek at least twice a week, i know the park well. Its not big enough.

Come back when you have something legit.

• Ken Summers

05/23/2015 at 3:36 PM

Well, there you have it, ladies and gentlemen. Case closed! I may as well throw away these dozen or more email testimonials and comments from residents near Silver Creek! Because, you know, if one man has never seen it, that’s absolute proof that it doesn’t exist. Those two “siggtings” aren’t the whole story, as I pretty plainly said.

Southern Summit and northern Stark Counties aren’t Oregon timber country, but they’re not exactly suburbia. The park isn’t Yellowstone, but last I checked, it didn’t have palisades surrounding it, forcing anyone (or anything) to stay within its borders, either.

• Kat Evans

07/23/2015 at 5:01 PM

You tell ’em, Ken. 😊 Keep up the good work (and that’s no “smoke” blowing)!

Incidentally, I’m from NW PA, about an hour east of Youngstown & there isn’t enough room here to tell you about all the crazy shizz I’ve seen in my time. I have lived in & around Columbus since ’85 & it’s gotten soooo weird that it seems the norm. Just got back from WA state, filming episode of The Dead Files for Travel Channel – WEIRD is the BEST way to look at life!
        Best to you and, again, keep it up! We need ya out here in these jungles…xo

• Norton resident

09/10/2015 at 6:31 PM

I have proof. I have over six years of sightings that I have kept in a diary. I have trail can pictures and pictures of footprints in snow. It even twisted a metal fence post when we were building a fence. Many people have had ecperiences so frightening they won’t come to our house any more. They are active between the months of March to May and again mid August to December. They are silent and faster than anything I have ever seen. I will come forward with our whole story if we are kept anonymous. Don’t want a bunch of people camped out in my yard.

• Norton resident

09/10/2015 at 6:34 PM

BTW we are the ones Linda mentioned in her book. My son Drew contacted her because we had so many incidents that we thought we were going crazy and found her site.

• Ken Summers

09/19/2015 at 9:15 AM

Sorry, my email address was wrong… [email protected]
          Linda is interested in possibly coming along as well. The duration of the incidents has her very intrigued.

• Ken Summers

09/15/2015 at 10:23 PM

Thank you so much for coming forward! I had hoped Linda could’ve forwarded you my info, but I didn’t want to push. But yours was one of the most fascinating, compelling cases from anywhere near my area (northern Summit).

And I understand your wanting to keep quiet about everything. I can promise you that I’ll keep any details you wish anonymous. But I can’t promise I won’t want to camp out there once for investigation purposes. Either way, please email me directly here at [email protected]. I will not give out names, email addresses, or street addresses to anyone. but I’m extremely interested in hearing your story and getting to the bottom of this.

15. Dawn

05/22/2015 at 12:24 PM

All I gotta say is I’ll believe when I see it

• Ken Summers

05/23/2015 at 3:37 PM

So will I, but it’s not stopping me from both wanting to see it and believing in the sincerity of someone I’ve known for at least a decade.

16. Scott S

05/22/2015 at 9:00 PM

I saw what I believe to be a mountain lion crossing I-271 near the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I know it was not a bobcat, as it had a long tail and longer body of a big cat. This was in the spring of 2011.
    I also hunt on some family owned land a little south east of Salt Fork State Park. I have heard very distinct and strange animal calls which I cannot attribute to any known species. My son claims to have seen “Bigfoot” on the hill behind our camp. I believe him as he does not tend to exaggerate and the fear he exhibited upon exiting the woods was real. Our land is in the triangular area that has produced numerous reports of sightings of the Ohio “Grassman”. I believe something is out there and it is only a matter of time until concrete proof is discovered.

17. Amy

05/23/2015 at 6:53 AM

I saw a wolf there recently. It was unmistakable. It was in the park closest to S.Hametown rd.

18. JL

05/24/2015 at 10:05 PM

I’ve lived in Norton pretty much all of my life. I’ve never heard of anything like this but I’m open to anything. Pretty creepy though!!

19. Michael thompson

06/04/2015 at 1:38 AM

I was part of a group of people that have called Silver Creek my backyard for 50 years still live 2 miles and hang hike swim fishing horseback trails love the place no dog men ever mention only thing that happened was 2 people I knew were murdered there in 1977

20. jamie

07/02/2015 at 6:34 AM

over the year the settlers destroyed all the wolves, yet in small pockets some hid and survived the culls of course these were the smartest of the wolves,and due to there situation,and keeping a eye out for gun totting humans they rose on there back legs to see better and over the generations they rapidly changed, remembering a generation for a human is about 20 years, were a wolf will have 3 or 4 generations to change in that time, so know weve got huge wolves running around on two feet,in the past it was installed in them to be hyper weary of humans,well youd better hope they dont get much smarter and know the difference btween a armed man and unarmed,otherwise you might be unarmed literally

21. unanimous

08/16/2015 at 6:57 AM

The comment that Jamie has left is a perfect example of what happens when humans fail to do their fair share towards coexisting with nature. People have complained about wolves taking their sheep. It would have been far less burdensome on both the animals and man in the long run had humans put forth a larger effort to separate their livestock from predators, that before the establishments of man, had freedom to roam the earth and carry out their lives hunting down whatever prey animals they happened to come upon at the time. Often times, the very ignorance of man is what builds the very brick wall that man himself has laid, brick by brick, which will ultimately lead to the fall of mankind sometime in the future. When you have wolves that were used to acquiring their nourishment at a time when it was needed, they would have had a hard time differentiating wild prey from animals that were contained in some sort of private pasture land. Not all wolves were livestock thieves, but because man has so unjustly killed every last wolf individual out there, without trial, without compassion, all in the name of his own species and ways without regard for nature around him, basically, committing genocide, which is by far, the most heinous atrocity that can be committed. And then man has the NERVE to complain about the advent of werewolves and things that seem 10 times scarier than the wolves that they had destroyed. Mankind can certainly throw a punch, but mankind does not like taking a punch. Well, just wait, the final blow from nature is yet to come, and no one will see it coming. In revelation is states that 1\4 of the human population will disappear. Where and why do you think these people will vanish? I have an idea that it will be brought about by mankind’s crimes against members of the animal kingdom. Remember that little kid that you picked on in school? He just might turn out to be a version of Arnold Schwarzenegger, and he just might be paying mankind a visit, or rather, to claim a debt. Be careful when trampling upon the dirt of the earth, for it contains far more power, and nobility that you can possibly imagine.

22. Dave

11/09/2015 at 11:13 AM

I grew up in the area on a farm and one evening around dusk my mom was walking behind the barn and in an open field by the woods she saw two large wolf like creatures that were down on all fours and when she turned to run and looked back again they were gone.