It Ain't No Iceberg! Unexplained "Bloop" Sound Still Worth Being Baffled By

It Ain’t No Iceberg! Unexplained “Bloop” Sound Still Worth Being Baffled By

bloops

WUB WUB WUB goes the totally inexplicable sound recorded by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) way back in ’97 (how many apocalypses ago was that?).  Although the eerie sound was “explained” late last year by Wired Magazine, there are still some biologists that have concluded that the noise didn’t come from any “icequake”, but rather from some type of humungous unidentified organism—the question is what?

When it was discovered, researchers dubbed the ominous sound “the Bloop” after the silly little bloopy sound it made when they sped it up x16 and released it to the public (why, the hell, we might ask, when the real-time version provided below is so much more hair-raising).   It came with a rash of other mysterious underwater sounds named for their everyday associations—the Train, the Whistle, the Slowdown (also provided below).  Good ol’ ’97 seems to have been the peak year for these haunting undersea melodies.  None have been recorded since.

The blue whale is the largest and loudest of all known animals, but analysts say the gentle giant is not the culprit here.  This sound registered on oceanic microphones over three thousand miles apart.  That puts the blue whale’s singing voice (and presumably its size) to shame.

Bloop

(However, I like to think this sound was made by a little minnow-sized critter with trumpet-like feelers coming out all over its body—no bigger than a goldfish when fully grown.  That’s just me, though.)

Various theories caught on when the sounds went public.  Lovecraft fans were ecstatic to learn that the NOAA pinpointed their source only about 650 miles from the mighty Cthulu’s fabled homestead off the South American coast, but no mountainous monster has yet arose from the deep to destroy all of humanity.  Scientists have more recently speculated that the sounds come from icequakes in gigantic icebergs, but Dr. Christopher Fox of the NOAA who originally proposed this has since redacted.  He once again thinks it was some sort of enormous unknown organism.  I mean, c’mon, does this sound like an iceberg to you?  And are we really gonna let them spoil our mystery-loving fun like that?

Here’s the audio—the real time Bloop doesn’t get really interesting until about 00:50, so be patient.  (Or, for all you, “Don’t tell me what to do,” folks, just skip ahead.)  What do you think this thing is?  Icebergs?  A prank call from Unidentified Submarine Objects?  The rare and exquisite Pigmy Trumpet Blowfish of the Antarctic?  Contrary to what some skeptics might have you think, the bloop hasn’t really been solved, and all that jabber about icebergs is still inconclusive, at best, even if it is the preferred “scientific” answer. The mystery remains!

Here is the Bloop in real time:

So, even though some people think they have it figured out, do you think we should stop pondering The Bloop? Should we relegate this mystery to the solved pile, or is it worth keeping around? Let us know what you think! Shoot us a message at our official Facebook page, tweet us @WeirdHQ, or leave a comment below.

1. Greg Newkirk

03/28/2013 at 6:48 PM

I BELIEVE!

..in giant underwater beasts making funny noises.

• Discoverer

09/26/2015 at 11:40 AM

yeah i believe too the people who claim that it’s not a creature bigger the whale want us not to panic there are things in the deeper depth’s of sea those which we cant imagine and this bloop is one of them.And some people claim megladon still exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Les

03/29/2013 at 10:03 AM

It can’t be the Pygmy Trumpet Blowfish. There would have to be a gigantic school spread over the entire 3000 mile range each one singing a separate note to generate The Bloop. But everyone knows PTB prefer small schools of fewer than 10 fish. It’s probably Captain Nemo warming up his pipe organ. The notes played before The Bloop are him noodling about on the keyboard. The sound being distorted and amplified by the submarines hull.

3. Horror from the deep

03/29/2013 at 2:04 PM

The Call of Thulu… And it is exactly at the same location as said in the book

4. sean

04/01/2013 at 7:32 AM

Where’s Dr. Christopher Fox’s more recent redaction? I can only find the 2002 article by Dave Wolman, which pretty significantly predates NOAA’s official, updated stance that it was caused by an icequake (as icequakes recorded after this sound strikingly similar to bloop)

So did Dr. Fox redact, unredact, then redact again? NOAA must have made some press release about icequakes explaining the bloop sometime late last year; that’s when all the “BLOOP SOLVED” articles went up online. When did Dr. Fox speak out on the matter “once again”?

• Jasper T. Woodsman

04/01/2013 at 9:35 AM

What seems to have happened is this:

NOAA’s first thought on the sounds was that it was an icequake, but then after some analysis some scientists figured it was a giant creature (I don’t know if NOAA ever officially took that stance). Then, not long ago, they went back to the icequake theory after hearing some strikingly similar noises from a crumbling ice shelf. I was merely talking about the Wolman article you mentioned, I don’t know if Dr. Fox went along with the latest NOAA stance or not.

Sorry to say I’m kind of a novice at writing on the fringe, so my info is usually pretty out of date. This is the second article I wrote that has been so-last-year. My apologies for the out-of-date info, thanks for updating me!

04/01/2013 at 9:42 AM

Weird never goes out of style, Jasper!

• sean

04/01/2013 at 9:57 AM

It looks like Dr. Fox retired since 2002, so I doubt he ever gave his opinion publically on the matter.

I have been enjoying your articles nonetheless. These things move fast.

5. Johnson

08/10/2013 at 9:38 AM

Kinda hibernates a lot, but that’s the sound it does when it breathes

6. T. Kennedy

12/02/2013 at 11:23 AM

There are creatures swimming around out there that we have yet to discover. Carcasses of strange animals have been found all over. I still believe carcharodon megalodon is alive and well……remember, the military and government are very poor liars and very horrible at covering their tracks.

7. jim

01/16/2014 at 7:05 AM

If the bloop was the sound of an icequake then why has it only been heard once if this is a regular occurence.

I have two questions to ask:
    1) where the sound originated from is not in an icefield so how could it have been an icequake, if it was an iceberg grounding then it would have had to be a huge iceberg.
    2) if you hear a noise in the middle of the night what do you do? Why hasn’t anybody been there to investigate? Or have they and they wont let us know the findings? (OK so there were a couple more questions.)

All these findings are just guesses, another case of mankind thinking they know all the answers. We are still finding animal species in rain forests and we have explored more of those than we have the oceans. Once we explore more then we will find the true answer.

8. Bill

02/25/2014 at 3:50 AM

I wouldn’t believe the government if they said the earth is round. They’d still have us believe the Roswell “item” was a weather balloon, even though it was previously flat out called a ufo. I believe they either don’t know what “bloop” is & are covering, or have an idea & are covering. Either way, we’re getting zip.

• ANASTASE

06/16/2015 at 8:58 PM

Hey, Bill– What kind of aluminum foil requires the U.S. military action to cordon off miles of area around it near Roswell, New Mexico? I’ve never heard of aluminum foil so precious! Hmm. Maybe they are covering something up. A Vedic scientist who revealed the fact that in addition to the fact that the Vedic literatures describe with scientific precision equal to that of modern cosmography that there are somewhat invisible aspects in connection with the earth that are flat, that the ancient geological histories of cultures around the world directly reflect this exact same basic theme. Dr. Richard Thompson was perhaps one of the greatest geniuses in modern times, and definitely the most articulate scientist of his time. He was indomitable. For this and many other revelations, including the publishing of (along with Michael Cremo) the stupendous and historic work: “FORBIDDEN ARCHAEOLOGY”, wherein he (Dr. Richard Thompson) reveals mountains of copious and heinous inconsistencies and egregious lies and cover-ups in the archaeo/paleoanthropological world, he was killed. But they made it look like natural causes. A contemporary of his (Svarupa Damodara) was also killed, because he too was divulging powerful findings. It you are making too much headway toward social liberation, then “the powers-that-be” want to check you, but at the same time, they don’t want to draw attention to the fact that they are doing it, because then that will draw attention to the material that the person they are checking was about. The Timingila fish is authoritatively real. It’s just that the “authorities” that you might consult to verify this may not be so forthcoming regarding divulging the whole truth. This should not be surprising or hard to believe. Once I got into an argument with a person who insisted that the internet was “a open book”, and that any kind of information could be attained on it. I disagreed, pointing out that people do not realize how many mountains of information are being denied them. He smugly, remained firm to his “open book” conviction. However, his “open book” conviction began to quickly unravel when I asked him to please show me the index detailing precisely where all our tax dollars are going.

9. delilah

03/20/2014 at 1:06 PM

I would like to think that it is nemo playing the organ on the nautilus

10. ANASTASE

04/21/2014 at 12:08 AM

In the ancient Vedic literatures of India,and in India in general, it is known well that there is a certain colossal fish living in the ocean. The head and open mouth of this fish adorns the crests of gopuram style temples in south India. I had discovered information about this fish way back in 1974. But who is going to believe me if I talk about this humongous fish? This fish is way bigger than the blue whale. This fish is so big, I don’t know how many whales could accidentally swim into its mouth at the same time and still not touch the inside of its mouth. I mean, whales remind me of plankton compared to this thing. I suppose its teeth are the size of boats. I’m not playing around here. Yes, of course it sounds totally loco, but any way you slice this, it’s going to sound loco, so… Actually, I posted a comment like this with the previous article. Fishermen– you’re going to need a bigger boat. Submariners–bring extra underwear. You don’t want to be in the water with it. IT’S THAT BIG! O.k, so how exactly big are these Vedic literatures saying it is? It is called TIMINGILA. Adult male: 500 meters. That’s 1,640 feet, 5 inches. That’s way bigger that all of the world’s largest cruise liners. Its diet is whales, but it resides at such a depth that it will be very difficult to study. I suppose if you find out what a female TIMINGILA sounds like, and the target was male, perhaps you could be onto some studying, but… What I’m afraid of is some group of people deciding to censor, and debunk everything about this.

11. Elizabeth Sullivan

04/23/2014 at 3:51 PM

I’d like to think that it might just be Mother Earth “burping” 🙂

12. Pingback: Booked my seats Godzilla May 15th - Page 2 - MyLesPaul.com

13. Terry K

07/21/2014 at 8:40 AM

This is no iceberg breaking off. Never has been and it isnt now. None have been heard before nor since the recordimg that nearly everyone has heard. If not a creature, then the government has exlplaining to do.

14. jessica

08/01/2014 at 12:07 AM

Im not sure why mermaids are being hidden. This is a beautiful creature of our own. The same thing with extraterrestrials. What would it change? I want my children to know the truth!

• luke

01/30/2017 at 7:46 AM

mermaids ive no idea what thatd change but aliens well that would drasticly change so many things over night our technology would potentially skyrocket depending on how much our extra terrestrial brethren would care to share also weve not any exact idea what these alien may or may not be perhaps they have a social structure without politics or anyone governing anything and are essentially anarchistic in such a case why wouldnt the government cover such a thing up in theory its quite possible that open extra terestrial encounters could drasticly alter everything about life on earth as we know it to sch an extent that life woldnt be recognisable to us currently if we were to look in as outsiders the other possible reasoning i could think is theyre either a.molevolent and are forcing said government to shut the fuck up 😛 or b. much like in the star trek universe they have some kind of code to try hard not to disrupt natural developement of a species (as much as possible keeping in mind that they probably all have free will) however theres allways the c option and they dont wish to be discovered by us and/or think we are far too primitive to even bother with yet if youre talking a massively advanced civilisation able to travel the spann of galexies at rediculious speeds and in timeframes that would encompass a lifetime (granted its debatable how long such a beng would live for for all we know theyre fucking immortal :P) then tehy probably look at us with detacted curiousity like one would observe a gorilla at the zoo hell if they are advanced enough we would meerely resemble monkeys barely managing to bang two sticks together 😛

15. Pingback: Mermaids: Body Not Found Ever | Propaganda

16. jeroen v

11/27/2014 at 5:23 PM

im looking in this now.. years later.. i found this few things that i see some link in… first of all, the Sonar testing of navy was recorded than suddenly all the fish hurt screams and then came the bloop sound…. it was never recorded again and over the world have been strandings of dolphins and whales… that could mean that if it was a giant creature maybe the sonar also killed it?! since it was never heared again, if it was iceberg it would. maybe it is never heared again because now it is dead…
    then second thing was this mermaids stories with it, and the bloop sounds like an siren some people say ancient stories about the sea folk having sirens.. now take a look at the son of poseidon, king triton, he also has a horn. so this is a little link to mermaids to.
    but im going for the large creature, im really thinking that sonar killed it since the recording of the bloop

• ANASTASE

12/15/2014 at 9:28 PM

Think about it. These days with so much garbage, misinformation, fraud, obfuscation and other things, it’s wonder if anything out of the “ordinary” can be discussed with dignity. With diabolical thinking pots around such as COINTELPRO “Counter-Intelligence Program” (a faction that actually works hard to keep everybody in the dark about everything!), it is extremely difficult to straighten things out. So many people’s narrow-minded views are much too often based on nothing more than jeering sarcasm. It’s saddening and sickening. The fact is that massive amounts of people simply will not come forth and admit their personal experiences that substantiate less-popular phenomena for fear of social punishment. In this way, people are feeding the very monster that is eating them– THE MACHINE. Not everything is ordinary. Did some primitive tribesman become subject to sneering sarcasm when he said he saw a giant, metal bird land and white people came out? Was the sneering,sarcastic person there to witness what the other person “thought” he saw? The simple act of considering whether sonar could have killed the sea creature in a sense does not favor the integrity of those who are open to the idea of the existence of a colossal aquatic. There are PLENTY of people who have personally experienced all manner of “unusual” things. The giant city of Dvaraka in India was considered for a long time to be merely myth until it was found by Professor Rao.

17. Corrina Dickinson

04/26/2015 at 5:34 PM

I’m only 15 but personally I think that there are many things in this world that we haven’t discovered yet and probably never will but I do believe that this bloop or whatever yall would like to call it could possibly be something that no one could even imagine yes I do believe in aliens also and Bigfoot too but that’s my opinion about it some people choose not to believe in that stuff and I can understand that but I choose to believe in it so I don’t see what the big fuss is about if it is or if it isn’t real everyone has their own opinion so I think everyone should just say YEAH I BELIEVE IN IT AND I UNDERSTAND IF YOU DON’T or YEAH I DON’T THINK IT’S REAL BUT THAT’S MY OPINION ABOUT THIS MATTER instead of arguing about it

• Lawson

02/09/2016 at 3:24 PM

Preach

18. arkiel

08/31/2015 at 11:54 AM

well, i for one am an open minded person who believes in the unknown and am willing to figure it out. but ask yourself this, an ice burg doesn’t take THAT long to crack off, and if it was that then wouldn’t we have MORE recordings due to the ice burgs constantly braking and cracking?
    hell, we HAVE discover alien life (bacteria on an asteroid that crashed here a few years ago) so whop knows? it might be a HUGE whale type creature that lives in the deepest trench. i mean, we have yet to go all the way down.

got an idea or think mine is stupid? [email protected] or email [email protected].
    i look forward to hearing responses!

• Lawson

02/09/2016 at 3:22 PM

I agree it could be lake some reefback from Subnautica.
      If you know what that is. anything isb possible

19. Zach

11/19/2015 at 1:29 PM

I too think this thing is a giant underwater sea creature… but I don’t think it is mr.thulu. I also don’t think its a whale, as we all know, whales are mamalles and they need air. If this thing is from the ocean deaths, and if this creature needs to go up into the surface, people would have found it by now. I also don’t think its the megalodon. The megalodon is 1/2 of a blue whale, there is no chance of it being the awnser. But, it could be a giant version of the megaladon. I think it is a giant undiscovered prehistoric predetor. Or, I think could be a giant lizard that stands on 2 that is 150 meters tall that has giant blue spikes that spits radioactive fire, bassicly a kigu XD. This is my opinion, don’t go all “craza” about dis. Have a nice day :D.

• Lawson

02/09/2016 at 3:19 PM

WTF

20. lawson

02/09/2016 at 3:14 PM

Since when do scientists jump to conclusions,I mean come on.

21. POOPER

02/09/2016 at 3:15 PM

Ass holes think they know every thing

• Lawson

02/09/2016 at 3:17 PM

I know right

You must be logged in to post a comment Login