A Previously Unheard UFO Story From A Tibetan Lama

A Previously Unheard UFO Story From A Tibetan Lama

tibetIt’s not everyday that I discuss UFOs with a Tibetan lama over lunch.

Our meeting was pure chance; I was planning to meet my friend Jim in Jersey for lunch, but an acquaintance asked if we would accompany his friend and Lama Kunga Rinpoche to a few museums that afternoon. We couldn’t turn down this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have an audience with an enlightened master.

Lama Kunga Rinpoche was born into nobility in Lhasa, Tibet, in 1935. Kunga Rinpoche’s father, Tsipon Shuguba, was the last treasurer of the Dalai Lama’s Lhasa government. At the age of seven, Rinpoche was recognized as the reincarnation of Sevan Repa, a heart disciple of Milarepa, Tibet’s great 11th century poet-saint. By his sixteenth birthday, he was ordained as a monk at Ngor Monastery in the Ü-Tsang province of central Tibet. After attaining the rank of Vice-Abbot at Ngor in 1959, Rinpoche and his countrymen found themselves fleeing into India from the Chinese invasion. In time, Rinpoche moved to the United States where he maintains the Ewam Choden Tibetan Buddhist Center in Kensington, California.

Wandering through the Asia Society’s displays, our conversation turned to Nagas, luminal beings in Buddhist cosmology, appearing in a form somewhere between human and snake, often associated with strange objects seen in the sky.

During lunch, I returned to the topic of Nagas. One of the companions at our table asked, “What’s your interest in Nagas?”

“I’m interested in any sort of UFOs.”

At this point Rinpoche interrupted us both, with his sharp grin and low, direct voice: “I have UFO story for you.”

I wish I had recorded Rinpoche telling the tale, but it would’ve been tremendously disprespectful to begin recording at the table.

He had been travelling with his family through the central Tibetan mountains in 1948. Where or why they were travelling, he didn’t say. One night, making camp and gathering around a fire, a white saucer-shaped craft rose up from the mountains behind them. The object drew a low, silent arc through the sky, dipping towards the ground before ascending beyond the mountains. Rinpoche illustrated the scene by holding up his tea saucer, upside down, carrying it over the table in the arc he was describing. The Lama simply explained his encounter, “What it was, I cannot say. But you know what else happened in 1948? Crash.”

Rinpoche was, of course, one year off, recalling the date of the Roswell incident. That “crash” took place in July 1947. A minor quibble to an astounding tale from an exceptional human being. What’s your take on the incident? Tell us on our Facebook page, at Twitter, or in the comments below!

1. Preston

04/26/2014 at 8:41 PM

Amazing story!

2. mrs. eccentric

04/27/2014 at 9:56 AM

oh for peet’s sake. Lama Kunga has plenty of UFO stories, tho i don’t recall hearing this one when i lived in Ewam Choden during the mid 1990’s. I’d just been discussing another ufo story of his with Red Pill Junkie and Chris O’Brien after Mr. O’Brien discussed ‘tiglis’ (sp.?) on a Paracast show a couple of months ago. Apparently ‘tiglis’ are ball of light which show up during times of meditation, maybe especially group meditation. But there’s not much known about them in the west.

The ufo story i’d been discussing, heard from Lama Kunga, goes like this. A group of young monks was on a picnic in a remote mountain valley, and were laughing and generally letting off some steam as a release from their highly disciplined lives. Suddenly, a huge round-ish light flew out from behind a mountain and over the group, which caused much upset and consternation. Rinpoche said that at the time the group thought the light was a nature spirit which was guarding the valley against hijinks, but “Now that we are in the west we know better – it was a flying saucer.” (At least someone knows what they are, i suppose.)

My fave UFO story of Rinpoche’s has to be the time he and some students watched a few errant ufo lights bopping around the sky whilst soaking in a hot tub. Born in Tibet, assimilated to northern California (though if i recall correctly the hot tub incident took place in the southeast US).

Fun article – for me especially! Of course when i read ‘lama + UFO’ i thought of lama kunga, what a hoot it turns out to be him! Happy Day, steph

• MICHAEL WEAR

07/23/2014 at 8:12 AM

IN 1975 I WAS AT LAMA KUNGAS HOUSE IN BERKELEY(KENSENTON), HAVING DINNER WITH LAMA KUNGA , SAKYA TRISEN, AND CLOSE FRIEND AL DICKENSON. I ASKED SAKYA TRISEN IF HE HAN SEEN UFO’S… HE SAID “OH YES, BUT HAVE YOU SEEN ONE”? I SAID YES… HE RESPONDED: “DID THEY LAND, GET OUT AND OFFER YOU GOOD HEALTH, LONG LIFE, OR ADVANCED KNOWLEDGE”? I SAID NO… “WELL THEN, THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY USELESS, ISN’T IT?… BEST TO IGNORE THEM AND CONTINUE WITH YOUR PRACTICES”.

• mrs. eccentric

02/06/2015 at 4:40 PM

oh Mike you are taking me back!!! “ignore EVERYTHING, do your practice!” om mani padme hum

• Kunga Namkha Chödron

08/09/2015 at 10:02 PM

I believe my Buddhist teachers Lama Kunga Rinpoche and His Holiness Sakya Trizin Rinpoche. It would be intimidated by other humans if they hear that these great compassionate beings are hybrid of humans and how they call it “sky beings” or how people call it alliens.

I am the personal attendant of Lama Kunga Ngor Thartse Rinpoche known as Lama Kunga Rinpoche. Living with extraordinary beings and watching how low key and their humbleness while they are helping us to live in harmony. But also I was warned not everyone has good intentions so, One shoud have good discernment.

Thanks for your time!

3. mrs. eccentric

04/27/2014 at 9:59 AM

omg, and i can totally hear him saying “Crash.”

ha!! i have to forward this to about a dozen of my friends and family. steph

4. Dan Frederiksen

05/16/2014 at 6:14 AM

Actually 3 craft crashed in new mexico in 47 and 48 but ET ships visit our planet in the hundreds every single day so they are not so infrequent as to warrant speculation that it could be the same.
    Nonetheless, any credible UFO(ET ship) sighting is interesting and while their beliefs are somewhat misguided I don’t expect a lama to lie so blatantly so it can probably be considered a true story.
    Further description of the craft would be valuable though. Precise shape, size, color, material, luminosity, distance, weather conditions etc.
    Genuine ET ship sightings are in the hundreds of millions worldwide in living memory. That’s not as many as you might think. That’s only 1 in say 10 people seeing a ship once in their life. But given how small and fast they are and how little we look up, that’s many.
    Casual inquiry among acquaintances suggests sightings could be as common as 1 in 5 or 1 in 3, ranging from the common zig zag light dot to a clearly visible shape at close range in daylight. I asked maybe 10 people. 2 had seen the zig zags, 1 was pretty sure he saw a disc momentarily out of his window and one saw a flattened gunmetal sphere up close in daylight when he was a kid, ran in to get his mom to see it but was gone when she finally decided to come out.
    Some fewer even see the beings as well.

5. Merry

10/08/2014 at 3:54 AM

In 1928, the Castellammarese War broke out between Masseria’s family and
    members of a rival family bossed by another Mustache Pete named Salvatore Maranzano.

Its time to hit the streets America we have a nation to rebuild.
    What is it that audience members feel, physically, when watching another body moving through space.