The Mysterious Grave of the Devil’s Baby: Ravenswood, West Virginia’s Creepiest Legend

Ravenswood WV

Ravenswood WV

Ravenswood, a city located in Jackson County West Virginia along the Ohio River has always been a place of dark history. The town was built on a tract of land once owned by George Washington. River boats used to travel the Ohio River and Ravenswood was a major stop along their way. During the civil war a battle was fought about a mile north at Buffington Island.

Many famous and non-famous visitors have come and went over the years at Ravenswood and naturally some ghost stayed behind to roam the area. The cemetery is filled with some very interesting people. Even a Napoleon bodyguard is buried in the cemetery.

Growing up in Ravenswood West Virginia, I had never paid much mind to any ghost stories, I guess you say I was just interested in the girls. A friend of mine told me a story that the devils baby was buried in the local cemetery. He claimed a tomb stone which bore a photo of a baby with fangs glowed in the dark. He also claimed that at midnight you hear a baby cry.

The Devils Baby

The Devils Baby

Being the unbeliever that I was, I took him up on the offer to visit this grave for myself, of course, at night. Well, there we were, walking around a grave yard at night, no flashlight, just the light of the moon when all of a sudden I saw a glow. A grave stone was glowing! When I saw it I was amazed, not scared. The photo on the grave stone did indeed glow in the dark. And the photo of the baby did look as though it had fangs. But we never heard a baby cry, must have been sleeping well.

Years went by and I told my wife about this experience the other day. You see I had forgotten about it till now. We decided to visited the cemetery, this time we were going to visit it in the day light.

I had problems trying to locate the exact location of the grave stone. I asked an employee that worked there if he know of such a story, he laughed and said, “You mean the devil’s baby?” He then led us right to the grave site. The photo on the stone marker did resemble a baby with evil eyes and maybe some teeth that did resemble fangs. I guess the weather had taken the toll on the photo over the years. It did, indeed, glow in the dark. Maybe the paper the photo was printed on exposed to the sunlight had something to do with that or maybe, just maybe it is the devils baby. George the devil’s baby.

Derek Cochran
DC (Ted Derek Cochran) was born in Parkersburg WV on November 11, 1961. Derek grew up writing music and poetry. His poetry has been published in several books. He took some time off to pursue the motorcycle business and became a motorcycle builder whose award-winning motorcycle was in Easyrider Magazine. After 20 years in the motorcycle business, he retired to pursue his interest in writing. He is the author of a children's Christmas book "Santa and His Reindeer Reunion" and a sci-fi adventure book "The Confessions of a Hither-man" and "Cochran, The Familly Tree". He currently writes stories and music and has many ideas for several books. He lives with his wife Karen in Ripley WV.

1. Aimee

01/25/2014 at 10:12 AM

You would think the devil would take better care of his babies…

2. Whitney

01/26/2014 at 9:33 PM

I grew up spending summers with my father and grandparents who lived in Ravenswood. Have seen the grave many times! The whole town reminded me of ghost towns, but never heard the baby cry! Often wondered what happened or who it really was!!!

• stormy

05/16/2015 at 11:55 PM

I grew up n wv devils child lives in cross lanes on Klondike rd yes I heard bout babies called devils child

• elizabeth

05/17/2015 at 5:52 PM

I do believe I may have been one of those ppl that told u about this Stormy?! Liz!!

3. Emily

01/27/2014 at 9:47 PM

I was born and have lived in Ravenswood, WV for 26 years. It is actually referred to as the “Devil Baby.” Supposedly, the baby was born with a bad facial deformity that caused it to have a devilish appearance. The ears were also pointed and it supposedly had fangs. I don’t know how old it was when it died, but usually babies don’t have teeth. The picture has also been defaced throughout the years and fangs were drawn on it at one point. Now, the picture is very weathered and the baby is barely visible at all. As far as it glowing in the dark, it does indeed! There has definitely always been something creepy about it and it is an old legend here in our town.

4. DC

01/28/2014 at 8:47 AM

George was born on 27 April 1915 and passed away on 21 July 1917.

• Patricia McGoskey

05/15/2015 at 7:47 PM

My husband was raised in Ravenswood,Wv – His name is George and we are 666 days apart in age. His Dad George is 88 and owns the property that George Washington’s Grand daughter is laid to rest.

He has never heard of this!

5. Kimberly

01/28/2014 at 3:24 PM

Where is the cemetery at in Ravenswood, Wv. What was George’s last name? Really curious about the story. Would love to see the grave site.

6. DC

01/28/2014 at 3:40 PM

Kimberly, The cemetery is located Route 68 north of town on right side. His last name was “Sharp”. George Elwood Sharp. Please get permission if you visit it after dark. Cheers!

7. Misti McClure

04/29/2014 at 5:56 PM

Hello! I grew up in Ravenswood and spent many hours in the cemetery especially in my teens due to my proclivity for the paranormal and the unknown so I’ve seen this tombstone on several occasions. I always thought the story was quite sad considering the child was so young especially. Now my parents both have a spot in the same cemetery with their photos on their shared stone I hope that time will be better to their place of rest and not spark tales of something sinister in the future but knowing how much my parents loved inflicting a good scare perhaps they’d enjoy some macabre attention. Thanks for including my hometown in your list! There are a few places in the county made famous by WV Folklore publications over the years and word of mouth. I still live in Jackson County but now I’m closer to the scene of the John Morgan murders that prompted the last public hanging in WV. Every person,creature and piece of land has its own story so I appreciate history. Thanks Again!

• DC

04/30/2014 at 4:32 PM

Thanks Misti, I grew up in Ravenswood, that’s how I knew of the story, I forgot it till the day I decided to do a story on it. I will however be doing a follow up story as well, planned soon. Yes I know the Morgan story as well, I used to live in the town of the Hanging too. Cheers!

• Joyce

08/06/2015 at 1:22 AM

Where is Morgan buried at?

• DC

08/06/2015 at 3:40 PM

the old section of the cemetery facing the road

8. Erin Landry

05/15/2015 at 11:19 AM

He has a memorial on Findagrave.com. It’s Memorial# 77036091

9. George Satanicus

05/15/2015 at 1:53 PM

I am George, the Devil’s baby. I can explain why I wasn’t crying that night. I normally go out at night. That is what all of us Devil babies do. Normally I go out until about 2:00 am, drinking and smoking, just blowing off some steam really. No hard stuff. Occasionally I pick up a hooker over by the BP. If you want to hear me cry, you have to be there in the morning, when I’m hungover. Nobody’s ever there in the morning though, I usually run the hookers off early.

• Mego

05/16/2015 at 5:31 PM

Bahahaha. Hope you use protection with those hookers, devil baby.

10. john spener

05/16/2015 at 5:38 AM

Hi my name john I got news articles and pictures of my grandfather and his dad riding hotdr back to the last hanging pretty neat.i

11. Denena

05/16/2015 at 7:12 AM

i grew up in Ravenswood and remember this gravesite. As teenagers a group of us would go to the cemetery after dark to look at the baby’s pic. It was always a little spooky to be in the cemetery after dark.

12. Beverly Jeans Simons

05/16/2015 at 10:03 AM

Nice to see a Jackson County mention and I too am now curious for more information. Looking forward to your follow-up story. I have a brother living in Ravenswood, and I grew up nearby outside of Ripley.

13. Kynnley

05/26/2015 at 10:10 AM

I just got home from Ravenswood WV and yes the legend is true it is an awesome but creepy story but very cool

14. Brooke

01/28/2016 at 12:57 PM

Does this story have anything to do with Ravenswood’s school mascot (the Red Devils)?

• DC

01/28/2016 at 5:09 PM

No, it does not Brooke. The photo does look like a devil baby from the deterioration from the weather over the years. It does, however, glow in the dark.

15. sarah mcintosh

02/06/2016 at 4:51 PM

interesting story, but that’s all it is…a story…wake up ppl, there are no ghosts, spirits, or ‘devil baby’…the headstone and pic is just old..whoever, came up with this nonsense years ago evidently had nothing else to do and were bored…entertainment, that’s all it boils down to

• DC

02/18/2016 at 6:05 PM

Yes, maybe it is simply a story, but without stories of ghost, spirits and devil babies life would be kinda boring. We as humans do not have the knowledge of afterlife so we tend to look for answers and explain things we see or the sounds we hear that seem un-natural. Sarah, you need to read my store and look at the photo that was taken of my sister who died four months before. I can not explain the photo but I believe that it is real. A professional photographer in Ripley examined the photo on the camera and came to the conclusion it was not a fake and that I had something very special. I do live in a haunted house located in Ripley, so they say. Strange, mysterious and unexplained events and phenomena have occurred in this home with witnesses, who claim the house is haunted. I always try to debunk the strange phenomena even though I sometimes do not succeed. Do I believe? Yes, there is something. Cheers! DC