Mystery Smells Cause Emergency Plane Landing, Air Tests Inconclusive

Mystery Smells Cause Emergency Plane Landing, Air Tests Inconclusive

mysterysmellsplane

Weird smells forced a Lufthansa aircraft to emergency land at the London Airport this past October, says a report published this week.

The strange smells were initially observed by the captain of the plane who began to complain about dizziness and eye irritation, in the smells wake. The reported funk then traveled to the cabin causing the passengers to feel sick from throat irritation.

Luckily the plane landed without complication nearly 10 minutes after the initial smell was detected, and aside from some mild nausea not one of the 139 passengers aboard were left with any long term issues.

The cause of the strange smells were not determined and the UK’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) went on to tell The Telegraph,

The investigation was inconclusive in that a source of the apparent contamination of the cabin and flight deck air was not found, despite the detailed analysis of residues and the medical examinations of the affected members of the crew. This event thus joins a growing number of cases in which there has been a similar lack of conclusive evidence as to the cause of aircraft cabin air quality issues.

Small enclosed spaces, mystery smells and accompanying nausea? Sounds like the Planet Weird van to me!

Mystery smells have been popping up all over the world quite regularly this year, and so far nearly every case has resulted in similar symptoms, evacuation of a well traveled public space, and an unsolved conclusion. There’s plenty of people who believe the strange cases to actually be some kind of public weapons testing, so if you should happen to find yourself in a particularly smelly Wal-Mart, be sure to keep an eye out for men in dark suits. They should stick out like a sore thumb.

What do you make of the phenomena of mystery smells? Government conspiracy or just some bad cheese in an overhead compartment? Share your theories with us on Facebook, on twitter @WhoForted, or in the comments below!

1. Turin

05/12/2013 at 3:38 PM

I never would have thought that conspiracy theory required much in the way of parody, but this is pretty bad…

05/12/2013 at 3:40 PM

The fringe is inherently hilarious, that’s what makes it all so much fun!

• Turin

05/12/2013 at 3:45 PM

True, but you guys need to add something to the way you’re doing this – like, maybe, better stories. Pretty cool format & everything, but, something just doesn’t seem to be hitting.

05/12/2013 at 3:53 PM

We just make it up as we go along. One person’s “bad story” is someone else’s interest piqued. We go out of our way not to report the mainstream ‘weird’ stories if we can help it, so sometimes stories about weird smells sneak in. No one else does them, and it takes us a few minutes to write, so why not?

I’m sorry something doesn’t seem to strike your particular fancy. Maybe we’re just not the right paranormal blog for you.

• Evil Eyes

05/12/2013 at 4:17 PM

*shrug* I thought it was pretty weird. FWIW I love this website and always thought the content was great. Ok maybe not when it wasnt updated for a year but still.

• Turin

05/12/2013 at 4:43 PM

It’s okay. I just thought that some of the humor could use some work. The video I saw, yesterday, had Newkirk Dude doing a prayerful pose asking people to like the vid, at Youtube, and, I thought I’d throw in some constructive criticism. I could’ve said it a little different, but …there you go.

What I’ve seen seems like a good format, that, I just think is going to croak if it doesn’t get a little work.

OTOH, I didn’t know this site has been running, like, 15 years. I thought it was a new thing. So, I guess a lot of people are pretty happy with it…

• alanborky

05/15/2013 at 12:55 PM

Actually Greg I quite like your fringe.

2. Turin

05/12/2013 at 3:54 PM

Hahaha …whatever. I just happened to find this site, yesterday.

3. Coppertop

05/12/2013 at 5:10 PM

In any case, what was the smell specifically like? Do we know? Was it an organic or inorganic smell?

05/12/2013 at 5:18 PM

I can’t seem to find any description of the smell, just that it was “foul”. It seriously could have simply been a really bad fart for all I know.

• Coppertop

05/13/2013 at 5:27 AM

If someone let out a fart so bad they had to land the plane… man, that guy deserves a medal or something.

4. ryanmaples

05/12/2013 at 5:35 PM

This is definitely a conspiracy, and the media is leaving us clues. By reporting that the captain initially smelt it, they are trying to let us know who dealt it.

5. alanborky

05/15/2013 at 1:15 PM

Since no one else seems to’ve made this observation Greg I guess it’ll have to be down to me…

Something about this story reeks.

And before you think I’m just try’n’o get up people’s noses or kick up a stink let me point out two real things to do with smells which unlike bumholes or Uranus aren’t inherently funny

1) demons or supposed hallucinations of them’ve long been associated with honks

2) according to the Ancient Egyptians one of the signs someone’s starting to spiritually/physically evolve’s their sense of smell becomes more sensitive

6. Pingback: PsiOp Radio 173 – 130517 « The Elfis Network