Bigfoot Screams Keeping Oregon Reservation Up at Night [With Audio]

Bigfoot Screams Keeping Oregon Reservation Up at Night [With Audio]

bigfootResidents of the Umatilla Indian Reservation outside of Pendleton, Oregon have been having a bit of trouble sleeping lately. You see, the damn local Sasquatch just won’t stop screaming all night.

They’ve been happening for awhile now, and so far, they can only be pinpointed to a marshy swamp nearby, where after dark, the screeches begin, prompting calls to the local housing authority. So far, they’ve already fielded half a dozen phone calls about the Squatch screams, and they’re expecting more.

Josh Franken, the director of the housing authority, told Oregon Live that many locals are afraid to even step foot outside after dark now, recounting the story of a man who believes he may know the cause of the cries.

“This guy was rather scared himself,” Franken said, and mentioned “a rumor that the cries were from a young Bigfoot that had got separated from the rest of his clan.”

While some of the local authorities believe the sounds to possibly be coming from coyotes or foxes, the reservation’s citizens are quick to quash those claims, saying that they’re “woodsy folks” who are well aware of the vocalizations from different animals.

“Foxes do sound creepy,” said Sylvia Minthorn. “But it’s not the same sound, not even close. It’s causing an uproar around here.”

The Blue Mountains area already has a history of Bigfoot sightings dating back to the 60’s, making the thought of a wandering Sasquatch that closer to the forefront of the residents’ minds. In fact, one of the more recognizable stories in Bigfoot lore is that of Pete Luther, who found 19″ footprints while riding his motorcycle through the Blue Mountains.

Colleen Chance, an employee of the reservation housing authority, has managed to capture an audio recording of the howls which she shared with Oregon Live.

“It’s kind of spooky,” she said. “Some say it’s foxes, some say it’s a female coyote and some say it’s Sasquatch. I don’t know what it is.”

If you’re curious, you can download the file here and listen to it for yourself. It’s certainly unsettling, but is it really Sasquatch? We want to know what you think. Tweet us @whoforted, stop by our official Facebook page, or share your thoughts in the comments section below.

In the meantime, we’ll pass the audio along to our own batch of Bigfoot experts and update you on their thoughts soon.

Greg Newkirk

Greg Newkirk

Editor-In-Chief at Week In Weird
Writer, adventurer, and professional monster chaser, Greg Newkirk is the founder and Editor-In-Chief of Week In Weird, Director of The Traveling Museum of the Paranormal & Occult and one-half of the prolific investigative duo Planet Weird. Learn more about Greg.
Greg Newkirk
Greg Newkirk

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Heroh
3 years 10 months ago

That, my friends, is probably a barn owl screeching. They’re well known for their disturbing night call.
I could be wrong, why don’t you compare?: (Youtube Barn Owl Screech)

mxyzptlk
3 years 10 months ago

Ah… I remember when I used to be lullabied to sleep…

3 years 10 months ago

Jan. 22, 1213:

I live in Walla Walla, WA., and not far from the Umatilla Reservation where these strange screams have emanated. I believe in Bigfoot because there have been too many strange sightings. Not only of the creature itself, but also of their foot-prints to be solely discounted as pure fabrication.

In fact, I have an old friend who claims to have once seen the beast while riding his motor-cycle not far from Tiger Canyon in the Blue Mountains.

I believe …! dk

3 years 10 months ago

The scream gives me chills. Reminds me of a recording very similar to it over a decade ago in Ohio. I’ve heard many animals calling while growing up in the Appalachians here in Pennsylvania. I don’t know the extent of wildlife in Washington but I know I’ve never heard anything like that.

Angela shelton
3 years 9 months ago

I would go camping in the appalachians in Pa. There was something really large that went in our camp site and it did not look like a bear. It was more like a huge hairy smelly man. It was looking
for somethin. It was at our tent breathing heavey! I peeked out my tent and seen him and I was scared out of my mind. I never went camping ever again! It also was amazing to see what I thaught was never real. I’m also a lucky one.

3 years 10 months ago
O’siyo,the sounds seem as to be a Sasquatch, I saw one in the Forests in Montery County in 1973 Big Sur,California. The sounds would scare the heck out of you.He does exist.I lived in the Rain Forest of Washington State also,and they are there also,they travel up and down the West coast,I did not have a camera at the time,but I always carry one now.They are not known to hurt people,unless you try and hurt them,they do not like humans,as humans try and distroy what they do not understand.We Native Americans are one with Mother Earth and try and understand… Read more »
Conquistador3
3 years 10 months ago
The sound quality is suspiciously low. In 1972 (October 21st to be more precise) Alan Berry recorded purported Bigfoot calls in the High Sierras of California. Berry’s recordings, despite having been made with a tape recorder made with ’60s technology, were clear enough to be analyzed at University of Wyoming by Lasse Hertel (who built his MS thesis around these studies) and Lynn Kirlin. Read on for the details. I find hard to believe this new recording, which sounds like low-fi generic swamp sounds, can be considered proof of anything. Considering the relatively high quality of modern digital recorders used… Read more »
trackback

[…] just know you need to move to a better neighborhood when the Bigfoot screams are worse than the dog […]

Mark
3 years 10 months ago

Mountain lion….

Cherie
3 years 10 months ago

Hmmm… the recording seems ambiguous. A Bigfoot with a big toothache, perhaps?

nick
nick
3 years 10 months ago

man-bear-pig…..

butch
3 years 8 months ago

kentucky cave alien that moved west.

KM
3 years 8 months ago

I’d like to see a bigfoot. I live in Walla Walla, so perhaps my chances are good if I head into the Blues to go camping. There’s a book in the public library here (special collection room) Called “Bigfoot of the Blues.” It recounts much of the older history of bigfoot sightings around here.

My ex saw one once, a small one, so probably juvenile, during a camping trip near the rock quarry between Ashland and Klamath falls.

MandyK
2 years 10 months ago

my dad has a story in a book called Blue Mountain bigfoot.. He worked at the state pen. in Walla Walla for 36 years him and his wife saw one while driving over a back road from the mountain top.

Deborah Coleman
3 years 7 months ago

That does not sound like a fox, or a coyote. Not sure if it’s a Bigfoot, but sure isn’t a local animal.

Imvula
3 years 7 months ago

So I heard an owl, and possibly a fox or mountain lion.

Vanessa Spencer
3 years 6 months ago
Many native people heard and listen to all the action going on at the Umitilla reservation. Many experienced the sound of a Bigfoot for many years and this sound heard from the Umitilla reservation does not sound near like a Bigfoot. Many who believe & know there traditional ways think it is the evil person itself. Listening to the video sounds ugly & scary being you can hear a evil laugh & some words with it. Elders talked about this & believe thats what they think it is. After being said about this- the elders don’t want to speak of… Read more »
7 months 17 days ago

My wife an I recently moved to the hungry valley rez an heard this screaming it was after the coyotes howled ,then that was when we heard it around twelve am an then again at three am it was strange an I’ve heard this scream on you tube so I knew what it was ..it was scary to hear knowing he was around.

wpDiscuz