Strange Frequencies Discovered on the Radio Waves: Can You Make Sense of this Bizarre Recording?

thetape

The recording begins innocently enough, with classical music coming over the crackling airwaves. The happy tune doesn’t last long however, as the radio fades out into shrieking, whispering, chanting, and what sounds like meditation bells. It’s one of the creepiest audio snippets that I’ve ever heard.

Not a whole lot of information about this strange recording exists, who recorded it, or what it’s authenticity is, but I stumbled upon this link some time ago and have been holding on to it in the hopes that I might be able to dig up some more information. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find out much of anything aside from the info offered by the original uploader, so I’m just going to go ahead and post what I’ve got and let you have a crack at it.

From the /x/ boards, of all places:

“Around 1995, I was about 15. I used to stay up late in my room listening to the radio on a boombox with an integrated tape recorder. I’d dial through the stations, and when I heard something interesting I’d hit record for a while, then move on.

One night, I came across this. I don’t think this was the beginning of the broadcast, but I caught a lot of it. Right at the end, an announcer says that the station I was tuned to was WKCR 89.9 New York. There are a bunch of names and dates in there, but…I’ve never run into anything else like this.”

The audio is entirely bizarre, and I have no way to validate whether it is a legitimate broadcast or a hoax, but one possible explanation is that the listener unwittingly tuned into a numbers station. Numbers stations, for those unaware, are radio stations that are widely believed to communicate with spy networks since as early as the first world war. Or, it could simply be a DJ having some fun. Or.. the clearest EVP I’ve ever heard.

Give the recording a listen below and let us know what you think about it. Can you make out any of the rambling words? Tweet us @WeirdHQ, message us on Facebook, or leave your thoughts in the comments!

Dana Matthews

Dana Matthews

Co-founder, Editor, Writer at Week in Weird / Planet Weird
Managing editor, occult museum curator, and paranormal TV junkie, Dana has been actively investigating the strange and the unexplained for two decades. When she’s not telling ghost stories or penning articles about real haunted places, she's chasing mysteries with Planet Weird. Learn more about Dana.
Dana Matthews

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
3 years 4 months ago

Weird! Maybe it was some sort of ‘musical happening’? A sort of Dadaist performance programmed by the radio station?

Has someone tried to transcribe the list of things the female voices are saying? it sounds like some sort of dates from the 1980s

Greg Newkirk
3 years 4 months ago

Apparently they mention some names of people who died on a Pan Am flight in the late 80’s, and I know they mention Oppenheimer, one of the guys who was involved with the Manhattan Project.

Very weird, whatever it is.

Courtney
3 years 4 months ago

How do you know they were names of those who died on a Pan Am flight?

Greg Newkirk
3 years 4 months ago

It was a huge deal, terrorist attack:

wovereene
2 years 4 months ago

it is witchcraft….. whether you believe in it or not, they do. it is a spirit envocation……

Peter J
1 year 5 months ago
An electronic composition or performance would be my take. WKCR is a student-run radio station based at Columbia University. The wind effects at the end continue under the announcer’s voice which suggests the sounds were part of the radio show. It’s fun to imagine witches and aliens etc and give in to the weirdness that this piece has been given but an investigation into what WKCR was playing at the time (it currently gives some air time to avant-gardist music) might well reveal some interesting audio works. A compelling few minutes of college radio helped by some atmospheric context creation.… Read more »
the paraclete
3 years 4 months ago

Am I going to die now that I’ve listened to this? Or attempt to assassinate an ambassador?

Greg Newkirk
3 years 4 months ago

Some poor bastard who hasn’t been in office since 1995 is really in for a surprise.

3 years 4 months ago

I’m also worried about dying in the next 48 hours. It’s Ring-ish. However, if the recording is truly from 1995 that’s several years before The Ring. Whoooooo

Verklagekasper
3 years 4 months ago

If anybody who listened to it is still alive after one week, I’ll give it a try.

Michael
Michael
3 years 4 months ago

no worries..I just popped back in from the future to say I am alive and…..

3 years 4 months ago

Plain and simply some DJ or someone else having a bit of fun. Nothing alien, nothing “paranormal.” BTW, I heard “Frank Oppenheimer,” who was J. Robert Oppenheimer (Oppie)’s brother. Oppie was in charge of the Manhattan Project, while Frank, who later founded the Exploratorium in San Francisco, was involved in the project to a somewhat lesser extent. He did not die in a plane crash, but rather at home in California in 1985.

Michael A
3 years 4 months ago

I wouldn’t really call that an EVP being that the voice reading names seems to catch their breath before the next series of names.

Michael A
3 years 4 months ago

In all seriousness, this reminded me of a documentary called Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles. I used to see these tiles around Philly and found the documentary really interesting. Basically, a dude was also hijacking some radio signals to get his strange message out.

Raven Storm
3 years 4 months ago
This is very interesting. I find it odd that you can still hear the music at the start of the tape very faintly while the woman is speaking at the beginning of tape, so that would indicate that either the music is playing in the background and then fades out or somehow the talking is over the music without erasing the original tape, which would be pretty impossible to do. (As a kid I used to freak out when my stupid sister would record over my music cassette tapes) So either this IS a very bizarre recording or it is… Read more »
jennifer

Bad medicine man

Adam
Adam
3 years 4 months ago

It kind of sounds like something that would be done by the “band” Negativeland. They are a “noise” band that often fill their “songs” with random sound bites.

Kirsty
3 years 4 months ago

You can hear her taking a breath. I think Red Pill Junkie is right. Sounds like a performance art piece.

Phoenix
3 years 3 months ago

Agreed. Sounds too well-produced and intentional to be random… particularly when the DJ breaks in over it to announce that the next show’s running late.

Raven Storm
3 years 4 months ago
I posted a follow up on your FB link. It’s from Columbia University student run radio station and is probaly a performance piece. The words are really just the woman saying the names of deceased people from the 1980’s along with the names of their relatives. In some places she says “my friend” and “Ann’s friend” afterward. Maybe just giving the indication that they somehow knew those particular people who died and this was their way of a rememberance of the event. It does remind me of the way some cultures do a prayer for the dead. Or you could… Read more »
Kenna

Impossible to dance to.

3 years 4 months ago
This is a recording from an FM station. The sound quality makes this quite clear. It’s not a numbers station because they only operate on short wave to reach ‘agents’ in other countries. And they only transmit, er… numbers! I first thought it could be a station transmitting over the top of the original (a pirate station or someone just mucking about with a little FM transmitter nearby) since the original station can be weakly heard in the background in exactly the same way as when two FM transmitters transmit on the same frequency. But that seems unlikely. There aren’t… Read more »
Hbloodbath
3 years 4 months ago

I don’t think it’s anything paranormal but its definitely creepy

john mizzi
3 years 4 months ago

Indeed I also picked up the name oppenhiemer it was actually frank oppenhiemer who indeed worked on the Manhatten project with his more famous brother Robert and he did die in 1985 so it sounds like a list of obituararies but not really paranormal I have been studying evp for over 10 years and this does not fit the paranomal model of an evp well done though

Greg Newkirk
3 years 4 months ago

Just curious, since I haven’t actually heard of anyone putting it that way, what are the criteria for the paranormal model of EVP?

c jones
3 years 4 months ago

pretty hd for a tape. my opinion, art piece done during/ post “the ring” era. the woman speaking almost has a rap/ melodic rhythm to it.

3 years 4 months ago
Hi Dana! from your written description, i thot it sounded a lot like an old radio show i used to listen to (very occasionally, i go to bed at 9pm) called “Insomniac’s Parade”. It was broadcast on KPFA in Berkeley, CA in the wee hours, like 1 or 2 am to 5 or 6 am as i recall. i’d catch it at the tail end. This show was aired in the 1980’s and 1990’s to the best of my memory. After listening to the clip i have to say it sounds EXACTLY like the type of stuff they used to… Read more »
Patricia
3 years 4 months ago

The way the names are chanted and the ringing of the bell sounds like prayers for the dead to me by Catholics. Maybe there was a Catholic radio station running those?

N
3 years 4 months ago

My question is this: if this is legit, why did the DJ allow it to continue playing through? Five minutes and no one at the radio station said, “Hey! What is this bizarre chanting?” I believe in almost everything, but I really don’t see anything paranormal here.

Thea Foley
3 years 4 months ago

Found this: http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/wkcr/about WKCR-FM, Columbia University’s non-commercial student-run radio station, is dedicated to presenting a spectrum of alternative programming—traditional and art music, spoken arts, and original journalism. Granted its FCC license in 1941, WKCR is both steeped in tradition and committed to innovation. In the New York area, the station can be heard at 89.9 megacycles in FM; worldwide, it streams online.

3 years 4 months ago
Funny, I heard something like this and it seems the year is about right. It just suddenly started and went on and on…and on. I remember wondering what was going on as it happened right in the middle of a live FM broadcast. When it finally did end, I heard dead air for what seemed like more than a minute and then the station ID came on and then everything seemed back to normal with no mention of it at all. It was very strange and I never did understand what was going on. My best guess what the DJ… Read more »
Colin
Patrick Fennelly
3 years 4 months ago
That is definitely not a numbers station, at least not one I’ve ever heard. I listened to a whole load of them back when we were recording one of our albums, none of them ever sounded remotely like this. And anyway, I’m nearly sure they would have been abandoned in the 90s for a more sophisticated method of getting messages to spies. It was predominantly a WW2 thing. One thing that strikes me as odd, though, is the quality of the audio. There’s little to no interference or static, which suggests that it was pre recorded. There’s also a flow… Read more »
andrew zukerman
3 years 4 months ago

uh, has anyone heard of experimental music? does this only seem obvious to me that what we’re listening to is a completely fabricated and intentional piece of sound art?

3 years 4 months ago

uh, andrew, have you read any of the other comments? 🙂

you are not alone! Dana, i continue to search for any info on the Insomniac’s Parade with no luck. next time i’m in Berkeley i’ll try stopping by KPFA and see if anyone can give me any love, steph

3 years 4 months ago

It would have been soundtrack from a creepy movie. Seems to me they ran voice overs of deaths and disasters that happened around mothman sightings in West Virginia in the movie. Maybe it was from that. Or, a slasher movie, or demonic possession. Anyway, that’s all good creep-you-out soundtrack stuff.

Mercy
3 years 4 months ago
In the first part of this audio, the “signal” appears electronic and occurs at regular intervals (approximately 7 seconds apart). In the background, one can hear other “stations” faintly (meaning, radio signals close to this location on the dial). Then a female voice is distinctly heard (and the electronic signal abruptly stops) reciting names and dates: many of these names are “Father”, “Brother”, whether or not pertaining to religious orders or simply status (as in someone’s father or brother). These names and dates are read rapidly, a steady stream, with accompanying dates. The voice (I think you’d need analysis to… Read more »
KM

Witch house?

KM
3 years 4 months ago

This is much clearer than it was on the radio last night when I heard it on “Ground Zero,” but I think it is a hoax created by a DJ or someone with knowledge of radio and had thought this out for some time before doing it.
You heard this in 1995 and all the dates of death are in the past, the 1980’s.
The DJ who is heard at the end sounds just like the Woman who is reciting the names and dates.
Nothing paranormal here, just a spooky sounding hoax that is actually very eerie and entertaining.

Hal
3 years 3 months ago

“WKCR 89.9 New York”

has anyone ever contacted the radio station, played it for them and gotten THEIR opion of what it is ?

3 years 3 months ago

Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev
Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc,
Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, Dacron,
Dien Bien Phu falls, “Rock Around the Clock”
Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn’s got a winning team,
Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland,
Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Krushchev,
Princess Grace, “Peyton Place”, trouble in the Suez
We didn’t start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world’s been turning

trackback
2 years 4 months ago

[…] to rhythmically recite names of people who died during the Pan Am bombing from the 1980s.. There’s more on the clip here.. There’s also some debate, on some boards, as to when the actual audio was recorded.. […]

trackback

Craig Paup
1 year 2 months ago

“The modern day composer refuses to die.”

wpDiscuz